Print Topic - Archive

BTD Forums  /  SWAMI Xpress  /  caffeine sensitivity?
Posted by: bayoudragon, Thursday, September 19, 2013, 4:24pm
You would think this would be an easy choice to pick for the software, but I don't need any caffeine to get me going in the morning... so I don't know what a normal caffeine reaction feels like.

I can drink green tea (often) with no negative reactions.  But I know that's not a lot of caffeine.

On the flip side, I took 2 Excedrin one night before bed for pain not realizing they were for migraines.  OMG!  I thought I was going to die!  My heart was racing, and I was very agitated.  But that was about 130mg of caffeine in one pop.

As a test, I drank a small cup of coffee this morning.  I HATE coffee.  It tastes burnt to me.   But I forced myself to drink it anyway (gag).   I'm not jittery, but I am definitely alert!  I feel like my eyes are buggin'.  LOL.  But it's not like the time I accidentally took the migraine pills.  My stomach is kinda queasy, but I didn't have much to eat with the coffee.  Is this normal??


Posted by: bayoudragon, Thursday, September 19, 2013, 5:11pm; Reply: 1
OK, it's been almost 2 hours. My head hurts, and I feel really sick.  Could it be the coffee and not necessarily the caffeine?  If this is normal, I doubt people could get much accomplished after drinking coffee.   Not trying this again... no coffee for me.   :P
Posted by: Kristin, Thursday, September 19, 2013, 8:32pm; Reply: 2
Green tea has l-theanine and other amino acids that produce a calming but alert effect that seems to counter the effects of the caffeine. And different types of green tea have differing levels of caffeine depending on a whole host of factors.  I can drink green tea all throughout the day with no effects. The few times I have had coffee though I really notice it.  

The issue is whether you have slow acetylation and caffeine sensitivity is one way to identify this meaning... it takes your liver a long time to metabolize the effects of the caffeine.  Another indication of slow acetylation is how you respond to medications - do you over-respond to OTC medications or dental anesthesia? I am a slow acetylator and have trained my dentist to give me the lowest possible level of anesthesia for dental work (he gives me a pediatric dose) and I am still numb for several hours afterward. Here is a quick and dirty explanation of slow acetylation:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_slow_acetylator

Hope this helps and wasn't too confusing!
Posted by: bayoudragon, Friday, September 20, 2013, 1:51am; Reply: 3
Yes, this helps quite a bit.  Thank you!

I hate taking any meds.  In fact when I broke my arm many years ago, I threw away all my pain pills.  Even a half a tab made me nauseous.  It was easier to deal with the pain.

Not sure how alcohol figures into all this, but I have no tolerance for alcohol either.   ::)
Posted by: Enobattar, Saturday, September 21, 2013, 1:26am; Reply: 4
One side note.  I found out instant coffee has wheat as an ingredient!  So don't use it as a test.
Posted by: Victoria, Saturday, September 21, 2013, 1:59am; Reply: 5
Quoted from bayoudragon
OK, it's been almost 2 hours. My head hurts, and I feel really sick.  Could it be the coffee and not necessarily the caffeine?  If this is normal, I doubt people could get much accomplished after drinking coffee.   Not trying this again... no coffee for me.   :P


If you ever do decide to try it again, you might consider making or buying cold processed coffee.  It is way less acidic.  My daughter buys Stumptown cold brewed coffee in glass bottles at our natural food stores when she wants the occasional treat.  My son makes his own cold processed.

It's important to use the best coffee you can get - organic, freshly ground, etc.
Posted by: Kiwi, Saturday, September 21, 2013, 3:34am; Reply: 6
Quoted from bayoudragon
OK, it's been almost 2 hours. My head hurts, and I feel really sick.  Could it be the coffee and not necessarily the caffeine?  If this is normal, I doubt people could get much accomplished after drinking coffee.   Not trying this again... no coffee for me.   :P


I always find the caffeine sensitivity question interesting as I have never had coffee before and find that it smells like cigarette butts and I agree, kind of burnt.  I do drink green tea but I always have to make sure I eat shortly afterwards or I feel quite nauseous.  I mostly drink white tea as I find it much more subtle and enjoyable.
Posted by: SquarePeg, Saturday, September 21, 2013, 1:01pm; Reply: 7
Some coffees remind me of freshly sharpened pencils.
Posted by: Serenity, Saturday, September 21, 2013, 1:08pm; Reply: 8
I am fine with coffee but always have to have half of the regular dental anasthetic or I am numb for 4-6 hours ??).
I rarely have medication but some i have weird/prolonged reactions to, but not others, so fast or slow acetylation i wonder???
Posted by: bayoudragon, Sunday, September 22, 2013, 1:06am; Reply: 9
Well, not long after my last post I became flushed and agitated... but it was the dry-heaving that really got me.   :X

I pretty much spent the rest of the day in bed nausous and with a massive headache.  Needless to say, I marked my SWAMI with a big fat 'Yes' to caffeine sensitivity.   ;D
Posted by: Victoria, Sunday, September 22, 2013, 1:18am; Reply: 10
Quoted from bayoudragon
Well, not long after my last post I became flushed and agitated... but it was the dry-heaving that really got me.   :X

I pretty much spent the rest of the day in bed nausous and with a massive headache.  Needless to say, I marked my SWAMI with a big fat 'Yes' to caffeine sensitivity.   ;D


There is a virus going around my town.  Symptoms:
nausea with dry heaves
headache
stiff, painful neck and shoulders
sometimes pain in other joints
feeling cold, hard to get warm
short periods of feeling flushed and feverish
Posted by: 49410 (Guest), Sunday, September 22, 2013, 10:20am; Reply: 11
Quoted from bayoudragon
You would think this would be an easy choice to pick for the software, but I don't need any caffeine to get me going in the morning... so I don't know what a normal caffeine reaction feels like.

I can drink green tea (often) with no negative reactions.  But I know that's not a lot of caffeine.

On the flip side, I took 2 Excedrin one night before bed for pain not realizing they were for migraines.  OMG!  I thought I was going to die!  My heart was racing, and I was very agitated.  But that was about 130mg of caffeine in one pop.

As a test, I drank a small cup of coffee this morning.  I HATE coffee.  It tastes burnt to me.   But I forced myself to drink it anyway (gag).   I'm not jittery, but I am definitely alert!  I feel like my eyes are buggin'.  LOL.  But it's not like the time I accidentally took the migraine pills.  My stomach is kinda queasy, but I didn't have much to eat with the coffee.  Is this normal??

I wish I could remember the name, but superstore sells it.  You are going to find it in the hot beverage aisle it is delicous no need for coffee (I think not sure) may be in coffee aisle good luck :B


Posted by: ruthiegirl, Monday, September 23, 2013, 6:00pm; Reply: 12
If you're able to drink green tea at any time of day or night, and it doesn't affect your sleep, then you're not "caffeine sensitive."  I can't drink it after 4:00 PM or it keeps me up all night; I usually have my day's supply of green tea before 11:00 AM.

Oh, and I NEVER have green tea on an empty stomach. I always have it with or after breakfast. It nauseates me on an empty stomach the 2 or 3 times I've done that.
Print page generated: Sunday, April 20, 2014, 2:40pm