Blood Type Diet Recipe
BLACK BEAN BROWNIES
Click Here For A Complete Or Abbreviated Printer Friendly Version
Share this recipe on Facebook
|Contributed by: Britlitgal||Added: May 27, 2008 at 01:21 PM|
Awesome flour-free brownies that get their chewiness from...you guessed it...beans! No one will ever know ;)
Best Used By Blood Types:
- Type A (3 beneficials)
- Type A Non Secretor (2 beneficials)
- Type O (1 beneficials)
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup unsalted butter [ghee]
- 2 cups soft-cooked black beans, drained well (canned is fine)
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cup (granulated) natural coffee substitute (or instant coffee, for gluten-sensitive)
- 1-1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups light agave nectar
How to make it:
- Preheat the oven to 325 Farenheit.
- Line an 11- by 18-inch (rimmed) baking pan with parchment paper and lightly oil with compliant oil.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a glass bowl in the microwave for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes on high. Stir with a spoon to melt the chocolate completely.
- Place the beans, 1/2 cup of the walnuts, the vanilla extract, and a couple of spoonfuls of the melted chocolate mixture into the bowl of a food processor. Blend about 2 minutes, or until smooth. The batter should be thick and the beans smooth. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the remaining 1/2 cup walnuts, remaining melted chocolate mixture, coffee substitute, and salt. Mix well and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, with an electric mixer beat the eggs until light and creamy, about 1 minute. Add the agave nectar and beat well. Set aside.
- Add the bean/chocolate mixture to the coffee/chocolate mixture. Stir until blended well.
- Add the egg mixture, reserving about 1/2 cup. Mix well. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Using an electric mixer, beat the remaining 1/2 cup egg mixture until light and fluffy. Drizzle over the brownie batter. Use a wooden toothpick to pull the egg mixture through the batter, creating a marbled effect. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the brownies are set. Let cool in the pan completely before cutting into squares. (They will be soft until refrigerated.)
- Makes 45 (2-inch) brownies.
- From Baking With Agave Nectar: Over 100 Recipes Using Nature's Ultimate Sweetener by Ania Catalano. (Ten Speed Press 2008)
Blood Type Diet Analysis:
Core Ingredients Analysis:
The ingredients in this category are either BTD compliant for all types or the recipe author and/or editor did not suggest a possible substitution. If this category contains avoids for your blood type this recipe may not work for you, unless you feel like you can omit the item or make an appropriate substitution. If you develop a great BTD compliant variation of this recipe please consider adding it to the Recipe Database.
Variations and Substitutions Analysis:
This category of ingredients contains possible substitutions that may allow different blood types to use the recipe or ingredients that can be left out of the recipe altogether.
 This recipe uses ingredients which may help limit bacterial overgrowth.
 This recipe uses ingredients which may be genetically modified .
This recipe is gluten free. This recipe uses ecologically friendly ingredients.
Cook Right For Your Type is the definitive cookbook for those following the Blood Type Diet. When using any recipe, always check it for avoids and make the appropriate adjustments where necessary. The Blood Type Diet Recipe Database has recently been greatly enhanced. Also, the food lists changed somewhat a few years ago, and all recipes in the database may not reflect those changes in terms of the blood types for which the recipes are recommended.
Volunteer Blood Type Diet Forums Members are working to review and update all the recipes to take advantage of all the new features and food lists. Please be patient until the process has been completed.
Click here to go to the BTD Forums - Cook Right 4 Your Type board to discuss this recipe.
- Revised Sep 15, 2010 at 00:19 AM By: Joe