Blood Type Diet Recipe
TOFU AND PUMPKIN SEED BURGERS
Click Here For A Complete Or Abbreviated Printer Friendly Version
Share this recipe on Facebook
This is a high-protein burger adapted from Didi Emmons' 'Vegetarian Planet'.
Best Used By Blood Types:
- Type A (9 beneficials)
- Type A Non Secretor (5 beneficials)
- Type AB (4 beneficials)
- Type AB Non Secretor (4 beneficials)
- Type O (4 beneficials)
- 4 slices stale or toasted sandwich bread [compliant is best]
- 1-1/2 cups cooked, drained and rinsed adzuki beans (or black beans)
- 1/3 cup hulled, unsalted pumpkin seeds, toasted 6 to 8 minutes in a 350 degree oven
- 1 pound firm tofu
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 Tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 Tablespoons miso paste
- 3/4 cup minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons canola oil
How to make it:
- Chop the bread into fine pieces and whirl it to crumbs in a food processor.
- Coarsely chop or mash the beans.
- Coarsely chop the toasted pumpkin seeds.
- Combine the beans, bread crumbs and pumpkin seeds in a large bowl.
- Cut the tofu into four pieces; squeeze each piece with your hand, letting the crumbled tofu fall into the bowl of mashed beans.
- Toast the cumin seeds in a small skillet over low heat; stirring until they become fragrant.
- Add the ginger, garlic, cumin, miso and onion to the bowl with the beans and tofu.
- Mix everything together with your hands.
- Mix in the salt and pepper.
- The mixture should be stiff enough to form a patty.
- If the mixture still seems a little wet, add more bread crumbs.
- Form the mixture into patties.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Cast iron works better than non-stick skillets.
- Add 1 Tablespoon oil to skillet.
- Place as many burgers in the skillet as you can without crowding them.
- Pan fry the burgers, in batches, until the undersides are a deep golden brown.
- This usually takes 3 to 4 minutes.
- Flip the burgers and cook them about 3 to 4 minutes more.
- Serve the burgers right away.
- I like to put the burger on a hard roll with a little mustard, lettuce and mozzarella cheese.
Blood Type Diet Analysis:
Core Ingredients Analysis:
The ingredients in this category are either BTD compliant for all types or the recipe author and/or editor did not suggest a possible substitution. If this category contains avoids for your blood type this recipe may not work for you, unless you feel like you can omit the item or make an appropriate substitution. If you develop a great BTD compliant variation of this recipe please consider adding it to the Recipe Database.
Variations and Substitutions Analysis:
This category of ingredients contains possible substitutions that may allow different blood types to use the recipe or ingredients that can be left out of the recipe altogether.
|Name||Notes||A Sec||A Non||ABSec||ABNon||B Sec||B Non||O Sec||O Non|
|Canola Oil|| 2 || N|| N|| N|| N|| A|| A|| N|| A|
 This recipe uses ingredients rich in lignans.
 This recipe uses ingredients which may help limit bacterial overgrowth.
 This recipe uses ingredients which are high in phytates.
This recipe is low in common allergens. This recipe is gluten free. This recipe uses ecologically friendly ingredients.
There are several cookbooks based on the Blood Type Diet that are available in print:
- Revised Oct 16, 2011 at 05:00 PM By: Joe