Blood Type Diet Recipe
SPICY BROWN LENTILS
Click Here For A Complete Or Abbreviated Printer Friendly Version
Share this recipe on Facebook
A terrific way to eat lentils.
Best Used By Blood Types:
- Type A (5 beneficials)
- Type A Non Secretor (4 beneficials)
- Type AB (2 beneficials)
- Type AB Non Secretor (2 beneficials)
- 1/2 cup brown lentils
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1 teaspoon miso
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- boiling water
How to make it:
- Check lentils for any small stones, then wash well. You do not have to soak lentils, but for this recipe I find that it helps the lentils take up the spicy flavor and shortens the cooking time.
- I usually soak them for up to 4 hours, they could even be left all day.
- When you are ready to cook, drain and rinse well.
- Set lentils aside.
- Using a medium sized, non-stick saucepan (heavy based or even a milk saucepan works well) gently saute onion in a little oil (olive oil gives a lovely flavor). Saute until soft and then add spices, stir to coat the onion and then add the lentils.
- Continue to 'fry' gently for a couple of minutes, being careful not to burn, and then add about 1 cup of boiling water.
- Bring back to the boil, add miso.
- Mix well and reduce heat to simmer and continue ooking for 1-1/2 hours, adding more water as needed.
- Just before serving you may need to thicken.
- Serve over couscous with steamed vegetables.
- The amount of spice can be adjusted according to taste.
- Made too Much? - Freezes Well or Re-Heat and Serve on Hot Toast.
Blood Type Diet Analysis:
Core Ingredients Analysis:
The ingredients in this category are either BTD compliant for all types or the recipe author and/or editor did not suggest a possible substitution. If this category contains avoids for your blood type this recipe may not work for you, unless you feel like you can omit the item or make an appropriate substitution. If you develop a great BTD compliant variation of this recipe please consider adding it to the Recipe Database.
 This recipe uses ingredients rich in lignans.
 This recipe uses ingredients which may help limit bacterial overgrowth.
This recipe is low in common allergens. This recipe is gluten free. This recipe uses ecologically friendly ingredients.
There are several cookbooks based on the Blood Type Diet that are available in print:
- Revised Jun 13, 2011 at 12:51 AM By: Joe