A non |
B non |
O non |
Texas Black-Eyed Pea Salad
Click Here For A Complete Or Abbreviated Printer Friendly Version
Share this recipe on Facebook
Cold bean salad. This is a recipe I received from Better Homes & Gardens. Perfect for Type O. [Omit the tomatoes, and the dish becomes okay for type A secretors, as well.]
Best Used By Blood Types:
- Type A (6 beneficials)
- Type A Non Secretor (4 beneficials)
- Type O (3 beneficials)
- Type O Non Secretor (4 beneficials)
- 1 Tablespoon [olive] oil
- 2 yellow summer squash, thinly sliced crosswise (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded, and chopped (about 2 Tablespoons) [or substitute 1 teaspoon freshly grated horseradish]
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed, crushed
- 1 16 ounce can black-eyed peas, rinsed & drained
- 1 green onion, sliced (2 Tablespoons) [or 1 scallion]
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into thin wedges [omit for Type A secretors]
How to make it:
- In a medium skillet heat oil, cook squash, peppers, garlic & cumin uncovered, for 8 min or until squash is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Combine squash mixture with peas, green onion, cilantro and salt.
- Cover and chill up to 24 hours.
- Toss tomato wedges with pea and squash mixture just before serving.
- To get more beneficial foods in the recipe, or if you don't like jalapenos, you could substitute 1 teaspoon, or to taste, grated horseradish for the jalapenos. Also, I would add some kale to this.
- Makes 4 side-dish servings.
Blood Type Diet Analysis:
Hint: You can click on the arrows  at top of the table(s) to sort by columns.
Core Ingredients Analysis:
The ingredients in this category are either BTD compliant for all types or the recipe author and/or editor did not suggest a possible substitution. If this category contains avoids for your blood type this recipe may not work for you, unless you feel like you can omit the item or make an appropriate substitution. If you develop a great BTD compliant variation of this recipe please consider adding it to the Recipe Database.
Variations and Substitutions Analysis:
This category of ingredients contains possible substitutions that may allow different blood types to use the recipe or ingredients that can be left out of the recipe altogether.
 This recipe uses ingredients rich in lignans.
 This recipe uses ingredients which may help limit bacterial overgrowth.
 This recipe uses ingredients which may be high in pesticides.
 This recipe uses ingredients with a good omega 3 to omega 6 fatty acid ratio.
This recipe is low in common allergens. This recipe is gluten free. This recipe uses ecologically friendly ingredients.
Cook Right For Your Type is the definitive cookbook for those following the Blood Type Diet. When using any recipe, always check it for avoids and make the appropriate adjustments where necessary. The Blood Type Diet Recipe Database has recently been greatly enhanced. Also, the food lists changed somewhat a few years ago, and all recipes in the database may not reflect those changes in terms of the blood types for which the recipes are recommended.
Volunteer Blood Type Diet Forums Members are working to review and update all the recipes to take advantage of all the new features and food lists. Please be patient until the process has been completed.
Click here to go to the BTD Forums - Cook Right 4 Your Type board to discuss this recipe.
- Revised Oct 02, 2007 at 05:15 PM By: Drea
- Revised Oct 03, 2007 at 12:45 AM By: Don
- Revised Oct 03, 2007 at 05:05 PM By: Drea