A non |
B non |
O non |
Lentil Sausage Soup
Click Here For A Complete Or Abbreviated Printer Friendly Version
Share this recipe on Facebook
Adapted from recipe of the same name by Ina Garten - Barefoot Contessa8 to 10 servings, 4 quarts
Best Used By Blood Types:
- Type A (8 beneficials)
- Type A Non Secretor (5 beneficials)
- Type AB (4 beneficials)
- Type AB Non Secretor (5 beneficials)
- 1 pound green lentils
- 1/4 cup olive oil, also for browning sausage
- 4 cups diced yellow onions
- 4 cups chopped leeks, white and light green parts only
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 Tablespoon sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups medium diced celery
- 3 cups medium diced carrots
- 3 quarts chicken broth
- 1/4 cup no tomato sauce (recipe listed under Other)
- 1 pound chicken sausage
- 4 Tablespoons dry red wine
How to make it:
- In a large bowl, cover the lentils with boiling water and allow to sit for 15 minutes.
- Cut the chicken sausage in half lengthwise.
- Heat a little olive oil in skillet and brown sausage on both sides.
- Remove from skillet to cool and then cut in 1/3 inch slices.
- Add a little chicken broth to hot skillet to deglaze skillet and add to stockpot when the rest of chicken broth added.
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, heat the olive oil and saute the onions, leeks, garlic, salt, thyme, and cumin for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are translucent and tender.
- Add the celery and carrots and saute for another 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, no tomato tomato sauce, and drained lentils, cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 1 hour, or until the lentils are cooked through and tender. Check the seasonings.
- Add the sausage and red wine and simmer until the sausage is hot.
Blood Type Diet Analysis:
Hint: You can click on the arrows  at top of the table(s) to sort by columns.
Core Ingredients Analysis:
The ingredients in this category are either BTD compliant for all types or the recipe author and/or editor did not suggest a possible substitution. If this category contains avoids for your blood type this recipe may not work for you, unless you feel like you can omit the item or make an appropriate substitution. If you develop a great BTD compliant variation of this recipe please consider adding it to the Recipe Database.
 This recipe uses ingredients rich in lignans.
 This recipe uses ingredients which may help limit bacterial overgrowth.
 This recipe uses ingredients with a high glycemic index.
This recipe is low in common allergens. This recipe is gluten free. This recipe uses ecologically friendly ingredients.
Cook Right For Your Type is the definitive cookbook for those following the Blood Type Diet. When using any recipe, always check it for avoids and make the appropriate adjustments where necessary. The Blood Type Diet Recipe Database has recently been greatly enhanced. Also, the food lists changed somewhat a few years ago, and all recipes in the database may not reflect those changes in terms of the blood types for which the recipes are recommended.
Volunteer Blood Type Diet Forums Members are working to review and update all the recipes to take advantage of all the new features and food lists. Please be patient until the process has been completed.
Click here to go to the BTD Forums - Cook Right 4 Your Type board to discuss this recipe.
- Revised Sep 23, 2009 at 04:13 PM By: Lola