|Reprinted from The Blood Type Diet Website (www.dadamo.com)|
|Contributed by: Rosey||Added: Mar 27, 2008 at 04:28 AM|
This will make a thick, dark colored, sweet and spicy ketchup which is not far in flavor from the commercial kind. This recipe only yielded about 4 generous Tablespoons, although it could be thickened instead of reducing for a larger quantity with a milder flavor. A and B secretors might try this using the No Tomato Tomato Sauce as the 'tomato' base, but I haven't explored this.
How to make it:
- 14 oz can of tomatoes
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- juice from half a lemon
- 1-2 Tablespoons molasses according to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice (or only a pinch of ground cloves)
- a pinch or two of cayenne pepper (if not compliant, increase amount of ginger)
- Finely chop the onion.
- Mix all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 10 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- Press the mixture through a sieve to extract as much liquid as possible.
- Keep the tomato and onion to flavor stews/soups.
- Reduce the resulting liquid on a medium to high heat until thickened to the desired consistency.
- Keep stirring to avoid burning as it will thicken quickly.
Note:Fantastic with sweet potato fries or freshly baked soda bread!