|Reprinted from The Blood Type Diet Website (www.dadamo.com)|
|Rice with green peas and almonds|
|Contributed by: Paul Buckless blog 03/25/2004||Added: Feb 18, 2008 at 04:15 AM|
This fancy rice dish is ideal for party catering or a special lunch or dinner.Preparation time: 5 minutesCooking time: 30 – 40 minutesServes: 4 – 5 people or 2 hungry people as a main course.
How to make it:
- 1 cup [250ml] Basmati or other long-grain white rice
- 4 green cardamom pods or ½ teaspoon of ground cardamom
- 2 cups [500ml] water
- ¾ teaspoon [3ml] sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon [1ml] turmeric
- 3 Tablespoon [60ml] ghee or olive oil
- 1 x 4cm [1-1/2 inch] cinnamon stick [or BTD compliant substitute]
- 1/3 cup [85ml] slivered or sliced raw almonds
- 1 cup [250ml] fresh or frozen peas
- Wash, drain, and dry the rice.
- Crush cardamom pods lightly if using whole pods.
- Bring the water, salt and turmeric slowly to a boil in a 2 litre/quart saucepan over moderate heat.
- Heat the ghee or oil in another 2 litre/quart saucepan over moderate low heat. Fry the cinnamon stick, cardamom and almonds in the hot ghee/oil until the almonds turn golden brown.
- Add the rice and sauté for about 2 minutes until the grains turn whitish.
- Pour in the boiling salted turmeric water and fresh peas, defrosted frozen peas should be added after the rice has been cooking for about 10 minutes.
- Stir, increase the heat to high, and bring the water to a full boil.
- Immediately reduce the heat to low, cover with a tight fitting lid and gently simmer, without stirring for 15-20 minutes or until all the water is absorbed and the rice is tender and flaky.
- Serve hot.