|Reprinted from The Blood Type Diet Website (www.dadamo.com)|
|Lemon and Almond Cake|
This is a Sephardic Jewish cake , the recipe for which was given out on TV while advertising Claudia Roden's book on Jewish cooking. Originally it had oranges, but I substituted these for lemons to suit the Type O diet. I suspect that it would work equally well with limes!It is an unbelievably easy cake to make all you need is a little time. Serves 12.
How to make it:
- 2 lemons
- 6 large eggs
- 9 ounces (250g) caster sugar [choose compliant sweetener]
- 1 teaspoon baking powder [see recipes in database]
- 9 ounces (250g) ground almonds
- Boil 2 whole lemons in a little water for 1.5 to 2 hours.
- Leave to cool.
- Remove the green stalks cut and remove the pips.
- Pulp in a hand blender to as smooth a consistency as you can get.
- Put the eggs in a bowl and combine with the sugar, almonds and baking soda.
- Add the Fruit pulp to the mixture.
- Pour into a lined/ oiled/ floured 9 inch (23cm) cake tin with a removable base.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 190 oC /350 oF/Gas Mark 5 for just under an hour.
- Allow to cool before removing form the tin.