|Reprinted from The Blood Type Diet Website (www.dadamo.com)|
|Turkey pot pie|
|Contributed by: Rodney||12/23/07|
working on this one so bear with me. :)
How to make it:
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter or ghee and or part olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- sea salt and herbs to taste
- 6 Tablespoons bleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups Chicken Stock or canned chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half or soy milk for BT
- 1 cup peeled and diced Idaho potatoes, cooked in boiling salted water until tender, 4 to 5 minutes
- 1 cup leftover sweet potatoes
- 1 cup diced carrots, cooked in boiling salted water until tender, 4 to 5 minutes
- 1 cup sweet young peas, fresh or frozen (defrost if frozen)
- 2 cups shredded cooked turkey, white and dark meat
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 recipe Basic pie crust (see below)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 9x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Heat the butter in a large saute pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and celery, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes to make a blond roux.
- Stir in the chicken stock and bring the liquid to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the sauce begins to thicken, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in the half-and-half and continue to cook for another 4 minutes.
- Season with salt and herbs.
- Stir in the potatoes, carrots, peas, turkey, and parsley, season with salt and herbs and mix well.
- Line the baking pan with one of the rolled-out pie crusts.
- Pour the filling into the prepared pan. Place the second crust on top of the filling. Carefully tuck the overlapping crusts into the pan, forming a thick edge. Crimp the edges, cut vents in the top crust, and place on a baking sheet. Bake until the crust is golden brown and crusty, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before slicing to serve.
- 2 cups spelt flour (white or whole)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup cold organic butter or ghee
- 1/3 cup cold organic shortening
- 5-7 Tablespoons ice cold water
- Sift together flour and salt.
- Cut in shortening and butter or ghee with pastry knife until pieces are size of small peas.
- Sprinkle in 1 tbsp water at a time. Gently mix. Repeat until all is moist and forms a ball.
- For 2 pie crusts, cut ball in half - one for each pie crust.
- On lightly floured surface, flatten ball with rolling pin and roll to desired thickness.
rice pie crust