|Reprinted from The Blood Type Diet Website (www.dadamo.com)|
Tofu marinated, then sauteed in a savory sauce, served over rice and topped with mushrooms and toasted almonds. Adapted from a dish enjoyed at Tsunami restaurant in Willits, Calif., but I had to figure it out myself. This may change your attitude about tofu!
How to make it:
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup sherry (alcohol cooks off during preparation)
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoon FRESH oregano leaves, firmly packed
- 1 package Tofu (14 oz, firm or extra firm) Go low fat if you desire
- 1/3 cup toasted whole almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups (approx 8 oz.) portobello mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- Combine sherry, soy sauce, lemon juice and oregano leaves.
- Drain tofu, place between several layers of paper towel thicknesses to absorb extra liquid.
- Slice into six 1/2'' slices.
- Arrange flat in glass dish and pour on marinade.
- Cover and place in refrigerator for several hours, turning at least once.
- When ready to begin cooking, prepare rice as directed on your package, and arrange to have it ready in about 1/2 hour.
- Begin cooking tofu 1/2 hour before eating time.
- Set aside 1/4 cup marinade for cooking mushrooms separately.
- Place tofu in non-stick skillet at medium low heat.
- Add just enough marinade including oregano leaves to barely cover bottom; let marinade cook down, but not burn.
- Then carefully turn over tofu slices, pour in more marinade and repeat the process letting the marinade cook down each time which will brown the tofu nicely.
- About 10 minutes before serving time, in another skillet, add 1/8 cup marinade and mushrooms.
- Cook over medium heat until liquid gone or until mushrooms are cooked, but not shriveled.
- Just before serving time, add chopped almonds.
- On each plate, place 1/2 cup rice, 1-1/2 slices tofu, add some nut/mushroom mix and a few dribbles of any leftover marinade(if desired as alcohol will not have been cooked off in remaining marinade.
- Can offer soy sauce as alternative although it really doesn't need extra sauce).
- Serve with green vegetable and salad of your choice.
- Serves 4.
- Good warmed over as leftovers.