|Reprinted from The Blood Type Diet Website (www.dadamo.com)|
Moist, savory meatloaf bursting with flavor. It is a little more work than other meatloaf recipes, but the results are so rewarding, it's worth it.
How to make it:
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup wheat-free tamari
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon iodized [or sea] salt
- 2 Tablespoons arrowroot powder
- You'll use some of this sauce IN the meatloaf, then the rest later OVER the meatloaf, so make this first.
- 3 slices Ezekiel bread, dried
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup marinara* or other type O appropriate tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup savory meatloaf sauce
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- about 10 ounces organic chicken or turkey sausage
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- * I use Ragu Light Tomato & Basil marinara - there's NO corn syrup, and no added fat.
- Combine all ingredients except arrowroot in a medium frying pan.
- Mix thoroughly
- Add arrowroot, mixing till it's completely absorbed. Turn on heat to Medium and bring to a boil; stir periodically.
- When liquid becomes noticeably darker and thick, it's done!
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- With a blender or food processor, grind up Ezekiel bread into fine bread crumbs.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, marinara or other tomato sauce, savory sauce, and bread crumbs.
- Stir well until combined.
- Cut sausage lengths into 1-inch pieces and grind in a blender or food processor.
- Combine sausage, ground beef and the bread crumb mixture - mix thoroughly by hand. You want to try and get the mixture as uniform in color as possible.
- Mold the mixture in a standard loaf pan (glass works best - doesn't burn the outside of the meatloaf).
- Bake, covered, for 50 minutes.
- Spread the most of the rest of the savory sauce over it and bake another 10 minutes. (You may want to reserve just a bit of the sauce to pour over the individual meatloaf slices before serving.)