|Reprinted from The Blood Type Diet Website (www.dadamo.com)|
|Jill's Lemon Meringue Pie|
Just like Mom's! Gosh don't tell her I stole her recipe and only had to make some slight modifications.
|Best Used By Blood Types:|
- Type A (2 beneficials)
- Type A Non Secretor (2 beneficials)
- Type AB (3 beneficials)
- Type AB Non Secretor (5 beneficials)
- Type B (1 beneficials)
- Type B Non Secretor (2 beneficials)
- Type O (1 beneficials)
How to make it:
- One 8-inch spelt pie crust (baked):
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons cool water
- 1/4 teaspoons sea salt, if desired
- 1 cup spelt flour (if necessary, add 1 to 2 Tablespoons flour)
Lemon Pie Filling:
- 1 cup sugar [or BTD compliant substitute]
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder
- 1 cup water
- 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 2 Tablespoons butter or margarine [or ghee]
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
Meringue for 8 inch pie:
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup sugar [or BTD compliant substitute]
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
To make crust:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Whisk olive oil, water and sea salt.
- Stir in flour.
- Mix until all is moistened.
- Press into an 8 inch pie plate or roll out with a rolling pin.
- Pick entire bottom and sides with a fork.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- Make filling while shell is cooling.
- Increase oven heat to 400 F.
- Seperate eggs (keep whites for meringue). Beat egg yolks slightly and set aside.
- Mix sugar and arrowroot powder in a medium saucepan. Gradually stir in water.
- Cook over medium heat while stirring until mixture thickens and boils.
- Boil and stir 1 more minute.
- Gradually stir at least half the hot mixture into egg yolks then pour back into the remaining hot mixture in the pan.
- Boil and stir 1 more minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter (or ghee), lemon peel and lemon juice.
- Pour into baked pie shell.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy.
- Beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Continue beating until stiff and shiny and a peak made with the back of a teaspoon holds.
- Do not underbeat.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Spoon meringue onto hot pie filling and spread over the filling being sure to seal the meringue to the edge of the crust to prevent shrinkage and leakage.
- Make peaks in Meringue with the back side of a teaspoon.
- Bake about 10 minutes or until peaks are gently browned.
- Cool thoroughly away from a draft.
BTD Core Ingredients Analysis:
BTD Variations and Substitutions Analysis:
 This recipe uses ingredients that contain gluten.
 This recipe uses ingredients with a high glycemic index.
 This recipe uses ingredients rich in lignans.
 This recipe uses ingredients which may help limit bacterial overgrowth.
This recipe is low in common allergens. This recipe is gluten free. This recipe uses ecologically friendly ingredients.
If an ingredient is an avoid for your blood type, then try using a BTD compliant variant/substitute or leaving the item out of the recipe.
When using any recipe, always check it for avoids and make the appropriate adjustments where necessary. The Blood Type Diet Recipe Database has been recently greatly enhanced. Also, the food lists changed somewhat a couple of years ago, and all recipes in the database may not reflect those changes in terms of the blood types for which the recipes are recommended. Volunteer Blood Type Diet Forums Members are working to review and update all the recipes to take advantage of the all the new features and food lists. Please be patient with us until the process has been completed.
- Revised Oct 17, 2007 at 11:34 AM By: Drea