|Reprinted from The Blood Type Diet Website (www.dadamo.com)|
|Mulligatawny Soup with Lentils|
Hearty Lentil Soup with Indian Spices, Spinach & Coconut milk. Makes 6, 2-Cup servings... Packed with folic acid (folacin) women should have 400 mcg folic acid a day. It is essential for healthy early development of babies (fetus).
How to make it:
- 2 Tablespoons fresh grated ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- half a jalapeno pepper, minced (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large purple onion (Spanish), chopped
- 1/4 cup black mustard seeds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 or 1 teaspoon cinnamon, to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom seeds
- 28 ounces canned tomatoes, diced with juice
- 6 cups chicken stock + 4 cups water (some evaporates while boiling the lentils - lid off) [sub compliant broth]
- 1 pound domestic lentils, picked over for stones
- 10 ounces coconut milk
- 12 ounces fresh spinach
- Boil the stock, water and lentils until done (about 25 minutes).
- Saute the onion, ginger, garlic and jalapeno until carmelized (3-5 minutes).
- Add to lentils and use a bit of water to swish the pan out, emptying the last tasty bits to the lentils.
- Clean off the pan.
- Heat up the remaining oil and toast the spices on medium heat to release their essential oils.
- Be careful not to burn them.
- I layer the bottom of the pan with the mustard seeds and put the powdered spices over them.
- When the seeds start to pop, add the tomatoes and juices, stirring well.
- Mix in the coconut milk.
- Add this mixture to the lentils and stir well.
- Toss in the spinach and let it wilt.
- Season to taste and serve.
- Enjoy! Zola (Some like a squeeze of lime on top. A dollop of yogurt & sprinkle of cilantro is nice too.)
- Serve with compliant bread and a salad.