|Reprinted from The Blood Type Diet Website (www.dadamo.com)|
Mashed turnips with garlic and turkey bacon
How to make it:
- 3 to 4 medium sized turnips
- 2 slices turkey bacon, cooked crisp and chopped into small pieces
- 1 to 4 cloves of garlic, minced (according to taste)
- 1/4 cup onions, diced, optional
- olive oil or butter-flavored spray
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ghee or butter
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons soy or rice milk
- sea salt and freshly-ground peppercorns (optional), according to taste
- Fill 2 quart saucepan with water and bring to a boil.
- Peel turnips and cut into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Add turnips to boiling water and cook until soft (20 to 30 minutes).
- While turnips are cooking, prepare turkey bacon: put a little olive oil or ghee in frying pan and cook turkey bacon (which has little fat of its own) over medium-low heat, sprinkling minced garlic and onions around sides of pan.
- When bacon is crisp, turn off heat and remove from pan (leaving garlic).
- Cut into small pieces.
- When turnips are soft, remove from heat and drain.
- Mash turnips with ghee/butter and milk (I use electric mixer).
- Return frying pan to medium-low heat and add turkey bacon.
- Add a very small amount of additional olive oil if pan is dry.
- Add mashed turnips to pan and stir until mixed with bacon and garlic.
- Serves 2 to 3 people as side dish.