|Reprinted from The Blood Type Diet Website (www.dadamo.com)|
|Apple-Walnut Spelt Scones|
I adapted my favorite scone recipe to be ok for almost any blood type (I'm an A). These scones are delicious and make a healthy breakfast or snack. I make them quickly in my food processor, but they can be made by hand too.
How to make it:
- 2 3/4 cups whole spelt flour
- 1/4 cup oatmeal (or cornmeal)
- 1/2 cup sugar [or 1/4 cup agave]
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons baking powder or variations
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 stick cold margarine (or butter), cut into chunks
- 1 cup soy milk mixed with 1-2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- (or 1 cup buttermilk)
- 1/2 cup dried apples,chopped
- 1/2 c. walnuts, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons coarse raw sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (or 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Grease a cookie sheet (or use parchment paper)
- Mix dry ingredients in processor
- Add margarine & pulse until resembles cornmeal
- Add soy milk, apples, nuts-pulse just until mixed
- Place dough onto lightly floured wax paper
- Wet hands & pat dough into an 8' circle
- Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon
- Cut into 8 slices (rinse knife as you slice)
- Pick up & place slices on baking sheet
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until lightly browned
- Cool on rack & eat warm or at room temp.
- When cool, wrap any scones you're not eating
- the same day & freeze. You can reheat them
- in microwave for about 30 sec. or in the oven.
- Scones dry out quickly, this way they taste like they were just baked.