|Reprinted from The Blood Type Diet Website (www.dadamo.com)|
A quickly prepared, hearty vegetarian stew that satisfies as a complete meal, with an 'I Want More!...' quality. This is also my 'Chicken Soup', consumed at the slightest tickle, it works for me as a preventative of whatever is going around. The only down side of this recipe is that I can't stop eating it!
How to make it:
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 large carrots, sliced round
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 package (16 ounces) lentils
- 1-2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon each marjoram, thyme or to taste (Bell's Seasoning may substitute for Marjoram & Thyme)
- sea salt to taste
- 1/4 cup red wine
- In a crock pot, stock pot or dutch oven saute onions and carrots in a large fry pan or dutch oven with olive oil until the onions are translucent. I like to leave them just a little bit crunchy. It's okay if they turn a little caramel in color on the edges but do not brown the onions.
- In the meantime peel and cut the garlic cloves in half or quarters to release the flavor. (it's very good, but not necessary to use all the cloves in a head of garlic, but I use as many as I can--time permitting.) Let garlic saute with the onion and carrot mixture for about 2 minutes, then add about a teaspoon each of thyme and marjoram and add about 2 teaspoons of sea salt.
- Test and add salt to taste if needed, after lentils are done, before the last 15 minutes of cooking.
- Mix and let it cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Mix in the lentils, and let them warm.
- Scoop the whole mixture into a crock pot if using one (you can use a regular pot, but it requires more frequent stirring.) cover with water up to about 4-5 inches from the top. Cover and cook on high for 45 min. or until lentils are done.
- Stir in 1/4 cup of red wine, and let it simmer for about 15 more minutes. Serves 4-6.
- This recipe does not have to be very precise, ingredients can be adjusted according to taste.