|Reprinted from The Blood Type Diet Website (www.dadamo.com)|
|Fava Bean and Chicory Soup|
A very elegant slightly bitter tasting soup coming from southern Italy. May be an appetizer or an entree, it depends on quantity
How to make it:
- 1 small onion, cubed or thinly sliced
- 2 cups of dry fava beans halved and without skin (I find them always ready to use)
- broth or broth substitute
- 4 large cups of chicory greens (endive or radicchio can be a substitution)
- extra virgin olive oil
- carrots, optional
- celery, optional
- tamari, optional
- Parmesan or Romano cheese, optional
- Put in a deep pan the vegetables, the broth (or water plus broth substitute) and the beans so that the beans are covered by least two inch of broth.
- Cook at low heat for 45-50 minutes watching the liquid.
- After 30 minutes add the chicory greens washed and cut in small pieces.
- It may be drizzled with a little tamari or Parmesan or Romano cheese.
- Serves three as a main dish with compliant bread, rice crackers or focaccia or five as an entree.