|Reprinted from The Blood Type Diet Website (www.dadamo.com)|
|Bonnie's 'Ice Cream' Pudding |
|Contributed by: Bonnie||From the Recipe Archives|
I invented this recipe for 'ice cream/pudding.' It has less fat than regular ice cream, but has an appealing taste. It also requires extremely little sweetener. You can be quite creative in flavoring this dessert.
How to make it:
- 1 pound sweet potatoes
- 1-1/2 pound D'Anjou pears, about 3 medium pears (you can also use Bosc pears or applesauce-quality apples)
- 3/4 cup liquid (half apple juice/half water, or white grape juice, pear juice, water, etc.)
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut into chunks.
- Peel and core pears and cut into quarters.
- Place them in a 3-quart pot.
- Add liquid.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Add more liquid so mixture doesn't burn.
- Blend all ingredients.
- Taste the puree for sweetness.
- You may add sugar, brown sugar, honey, molasses, rice syrup or other sweetener, only add a teaspoon at a time if necessary.
- Add desired flavors. Be creative. (see variations below)
- Chill ingredients in the refrigerator for a pudding. Freeze ingredients in freezer for 'ice cream.'
'Vanilla Flavor, add 1 teaspoon vanilla to 3 cups puree.
Chocolate Flavor, add 1-2 Tablespoons cocoa (or to taste) and 1 teaspoon vanilla to 3 cups hot puree, stir in until chocolate is absorbed into the mixture.
Maple Cinnamon Flavor, add 1-2 Tablespoons maple syrup, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (or other spice), stir and chill.
Strawberry Flavor, crush about 1/2 cup strawberries and sweeten as necessary, add about 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice, add crushed strawberries to 3 cups hot puree.
Boysenberry Flavor, crush about 1/2 cup boysenberries and sweeten as necessary, add about 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice, add crushed boysenberries to 3 cups hot puree.
Peppermint Flavor, crush about 1/3 cup 'Sweet Stripes,' a candy produced by Smart & Final, Iris brand.(This is the only commercial brand of candy that I've located that does not contain corn syrup or other 'avoid' ingredients. Its ingredients are sugar, oil of peppermint, red 40, red 40 lake), add crushed peppermint to 3 cups hot or cold puree, depending on how much you want the candy to melt.
Lemon Flavor, add 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind and 2 drops pure lemon oil to 3 cups hot puree.
Almond Flavor, add 2 drops pure almond oil and 1 teaspoon vanilla to 3 cups hot puree. Sprinkle slivered, toasted almonds on top or stir into puree
Chocolate Chip, add 1/3 cup blood-type safe semi-sweet chocolate chips to 3 cups hot puree.(I use Trader Joe's Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips. The ingredients are sugar, chocolate liquor, cocoa butter, soya lecithin (added as an emulsifier), vanilla extract, vanillin (an artificial flavoring), salt.)
Toffee - if you can make a blood-type safe roca (butter and sugar), you can crush 1/3 cup and add to 3 cups cooled puree.
I purchased a dropper bottle for ease in dispensing my oil flavorings, at fantes.com. The list of flavors can be endless: crushed blood-type safe cookies, pumpkin puree with spices such as allspice, cinnamon, and cloves, etc.