|Reprinted from The Blood Type Diet Website (www.dadamo.com)|
|Poached Pears with Chocolate Sorbet|
I got this basic recipe from a magazine, and am unable to locate it. Therefore, I have guessed at ingredients and amounts. I just made up the recipe for chocolate sorbet since it would probably contain 'avoids' if I purchased it. I was born in a dairy family, and I miss whipped cream desserts, so something like this will have to satisfy my dessert cravings. Note: if you are a blood type that cannot eat sugar, I would suggest poaching the pears with just cinnamon-water mixture. I would also suggest making the chocolate sorbet without the sugar and adding some natural pureed pear juice or white grape juice as a natural sweetener.
How to make it:
- Lime or lemon juice, optional
- Cinnamon or Cinnamon Stick
- Chocolate Sorbet:
- In a sauce pot, pour in 2 cups water and 1 cup sugar.
- Add 3 Tablespoon cocoa (I used organic from the health food store, but sometimes use Hershey's.
- Check carefully because cocoas sometimes contain 'avoid' ingredients).
- Cook this mixture over low to medium heat until cocoa and sugar are dissolved.
- Adjust sugar and cocoa to your taste - you may want more or less - I just guessed.
- Allow mixture to sit and cool to room temperature.
- Freeze until slushy in a small container.
- Poached Pear (I only made one - you can do more):
- Peel, core, and cut in half one pear (I used D'Anjou - Bosc would probably work just as well).
- In small sauce pot, add one cup water, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon (or a cinnamon stick, if you prefer) (or another spice if you cannot eat cinnamon).
- I squeezed the juice of one Bears lime into the pot, but I suppose this might be optional.
- Heat the sugar-water-cinnamon mixture over low to medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Add cut pears to sugar-water mixture (with cut side facing down).
- Simmer 5 minutes.
- Turn pear halves over and simmer 2-3 more minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Cool to room temperature.
- When pears are chilled and sorbet is frozen, place one pear half in a dish.
- Drizzle about 1/4 cup syrup over the pear and place a small scoop of sorbet in the center.