|Reprinted from The Blood Type Diet Website (www.dadamo.com)|
|Nougat - Torrone|
Since trying Father Tiresias'Adamo's eating plan, I miss Christmas candies that use cream and corn syrup in their bases. I found this recipe on the Internet. It uses honey - which is the way it was originally made. The recipe is a lot of work. We used to eat this candy as children. My grandmother used to bring home these little candies in small boxes after she visited Switzerland. There are stores listed on the Internet where you can buy the rice paper. I have not made this recipe, but I will be making it without using the rice wafer this time.
|Best Used By Blood Types:Category:|
How to make it:
- Egg Whites
- Rice Wafer, if desired
- Almonds, if desired
- Hazelnuts, if desired
- Candied blood type appropriate fruit or peel, if desired
- (I may use a drop of lemon oil, almond oil, or I may candy lemon peel some day when I try to make this)
- This is the recipe I downloaded from the Internet. Again, I plan to make it without using the rice wafer. If it turns out, maybe later I will buy some rice wafer. NOTE: DO NOT USE PISTACHIO NUTS OR CANDIED ORANGE AS THEY ARE AVOIDS FOR TYPE O's. It will be easy to substitute another nut or fruit, if you desire them. I will be totally omitting nuts and peels the first time I make this recipe:
- 1 cup, 3 oz. (1/4 c + 2 T.) honey
- 1 cup, 3 oz.(1/4 c + 2 T.) sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 1 lb. shelled almonds
- 1 cup shelled hazelnuts (lightly toasted)
- 3 oz. candied orange and citron, or 1 1/2 oz. pistachios
- 2 lemons
- large wafer sheets
- 6 Tbs. water
- Cook the honey in a double boiler for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring constantly. Cook the sugar and water until it reaches the hard-ball stage. Whip the egg whites till stiffened and fold them into the honey. When the mixture becomes a foamy mass, add the cooked sugar and continue mixing until the mixture begins to harden. Add the almonds and the hazelnuts, candied fruit and grated peel of two lemons, mixing thoroughly. Line a mold or a rectangular baking pan with the thin sheets of unlevened wafer. Pour in the mixture making an even layer, top with another wafer, cover with a wooden board and weight the board down. Let stand for half an hour, turn the baking pan over onto a cutting board, and divide the torrone in pieces as large as desired and keep at room temperature. Torrone may keep for a long time if it is wrapped in oiled paper or tin foil
- Course Cook Book
- Dessert The Basics of Italian Cuisine
BTD Core Ingredients Analysis:
This recipe is low in common allergens. This recipe is gluten free. This is a low lectin recipe. This recipe uses ecologically friendly ingredients.
If an ingredient is an avoid for your blood type, then try using a BTD compliant variant/substitute or leaving the item out of the recipe.
When using any recipe, always check it for avoids and make the appropriate adjustments where necessary. The Blood Type Diet Recipe Database has been recently greatly enhanced. Also, the food lists changed somewhat a couple of years ago, and all recipes in the database may not reflect those changes in terms of the blood types for which the recipes are recommended. Volunteer Blood Type Diet Forums Members are working to review and update all the recipes to take advantage of the all the new features and food lists. Please be patient with us until the process has been completed.