|Reprinted from The Blood Type Diet Website (www.dadamo.com)|
My mother used to make Christmas candy every year, the very best. Since trying Father Tiresias'D'Adamo's eating plan, I miss not being able to use cream and corn syrup in making candy at Christmas. Here is one recipe I found on the Internet. I do not add the almonds as I used to beg my mother to make a batch of toffee without nuts. Here is the recipe I downloaded from the Internet.
How to make it:
- 1 pound butter (or ghee)
- 3 cups sugar [or 1 1/2 cups agave or rice syrup]
- almonds or walnuts if desired
- melted chocolate to frost roca if desired
- Cook and stir in heavy skillet until 300 degrees on candy thermometer.
- [Follow manufacture recommendations for sugar substitution]
- Pour quickly into large buttered jelly roll pan or 3 (9'x9') pans.
- Sprinkle with nuts while hot or quickly stir nuts into mixture before pouring into pans.
- When cool, cut or break into pieces.
- For Almond roca:
- Spread above mixture into buttered pans and spread with melted chocolate bars and sprinkle with chopped almonds.
I searched everywhere for chocolate and carob chips without 'avoid' ingredients. I found no carob chips products without 'avoid' ingredients. Finally, I discovered that Trader Joe's carries semi-sweet chocolate chips - and none of its ingredients are avoids. They also carry two chocolate bars that do not contain avoids. It made a great frosting for my roca.