|Reprinted from The Blood Type Diet Website (www.dadamo.com)|
|Cream of Vegetable Soups|
Using sweet potato as a base (not advisable for A secretors--try Jerusalem artichoke, instead), you can create any type of 'cream' of vegetable soup. It is good for a complete dinner or just a snack.
How to make it:
- 1-2 Tablespoons butter, ghee, olive oil, or appropriate oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1-2 large sweet potatoes, yams, or Oriental sweet potato/yam, peeled and cut into large chunks
- any vegetable, such as 1/2 bunch kale, oyster mushroom, green beans, tomato, tomato concentrate, carrots, broccoli, etc.
- 2 cups chicken stock, vegetable stock, bean stock, or water
- seasonings as desired
- Saute diced onion until translucent, but not too limp. Add sweet potato or yam and vegetable.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Blend to puree the soup.
Most often, I serve this soup without any added seasonings, especially if the onion is sweet and flavorful. Try it; the flavors marry well, and a very elegant soup is derived.
Here are a few recipes I've tried:
- Cream of Oyster Mushroom Soup: Add 1/4 pound fresh chopped oyster mushrooms when you saute onions. Then add sweet potatoes and stock or water. This is one of the best tasting mushroom soups I have eaten.
- Cream of Tomato Soup: Here's how I did it. I used 3 Oriental Sweet Potatoes (regular ones will do just fine), I added 3 cups crushed tomatoes. After the soup had simmered, I added 2-3 teaspoons wheat free tamari sauce and 1/2 teaspoon Roland anchovy paste. This is a yummy tomato soup and quite hearty. I love it.
- Cream of Kale soup. I don't especially like Kale, this soup is one way I find kale to be palatable. I found a bunch of organic dinosaur kale at the Farmer's Market, chopped up 1/2 bunch for the soup. It was good without seasonings.
- Cream of Carrot Soup: These carrots are super sweet. I peeled and chunked maybe 2-3 giant carrots. The soup was wonderful.
- Cream of Green Bean Soup. I had 1/2 package of leftover green beans in the freezer. I used it up in this soup.
- Other soups I plan to try in the future may be with beets, broccoli or other items, maybe even a little meat. I may also try using winter squashes as a cream base instead of sweet potato.