|Reprinted from The Blood Type Diet Website (www.dadamo.com)|
Fresh tomatoes are at the Farmer's Market and green beans are fresh - both are inexpensive and delicious right now. Chicken was on sale - so I made Chicken Cacciatore.
How to make it:
- 3 half chicken breasts, or 6 chicken thighs, or 1 whole chicken cut up (or your favorite pieces)
- Note: While the chicken is browning, I season it with a seasoning I made up. Here is the recipe:
- My version:
- 1/2 c salt
- 1/4 c paprika
- 1/3 c sugar
- 2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/2 tsp. Cumin
- 1 tsp - 1 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp. Lemon peel
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 2 tsp granulated onion
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- Brown chicken pieces, but do not cook. (I flour my chicken pieces with spelt flour and fry in olive oil).
- Do not cook the chicken, just brown it. Then place it in the crock pot.
- In the fry pan you just used (add more olive oil if necessary - olive oil adds a nice flavor to this dish later), add 1 chopped large onion and start to sautee it lightly
- Add 2 cloves chopped garlic and continue to sautee
- Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped Italian parsley and continue to saute
- Add 2T fresh Greek oregano (if you have it in the yard) or 2 tsp. dry oregano
- Add 2 T fresh basil (if you have it in the yard) or 2 tsp. dry sweet basil
- Add 1 tsp. garlic salt
- Add 1/2 tsp. roasted chicory root (optional) (I use this in place of pepper)
- Add two 6-ounce cans of tomato paste Add 4 fresh juicy chopped tomatoes (or 1 15-ounce stewed tomatoes or tomato sauce)
- Add 1 tsp. sugar (optional) Stir this mixture lightly
- Do not saute this mixture too hard - just a few minutes to get the ingredients blended).
- Pour this tomato mixture over the chicken.
- Add 1/4 pound fresh green beans to the sauce (optional)and lightly stir (I've even added some zucchini sometimes).
- Cook in the slow cooker 4-6 hours - until chicken is cooked.
- Note: This tastes exquisite if allowed to cool and refrigerate over night - then warmed up the next day.