|Reprinted from The Blood Type Diet Website (www.dadamo.com)|
|Spicy Brown Lentils|
A terrific way to eat lentils.
How to make it:
- 1/2 cup brown lentils
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1 teaspoon miso
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- boiling water
- Check lentils for any small stones, then wash well. You do not have to soak lentils, but for this recipe I find that it helps the lentils take up the spicy flavor and shortens the cooking time.
- I usually soak them for up to 4 hours, they could even be left all day.
- When you are ready to cook, drain and rinse well.
- Set lentils aside.
- Using a medium sized, non-stick saucepan (heavy based or even a milk saucepan works well) gently saute onion in a little oil (olive oil gives a lovely flavor). Saute until soft and then add spices, stir to coat the onion and then add the lentils.
- Continue to 'fry' gently for a couple of minutes, being careful not to burn, and then add about 1 cup of boiling water.
- Bring back to the boil, add miso.
- Mix well and reduce heat to simmer and continue ooking for 1-1/2 hours, adding more water as needed.
- Just before serving you may need to thicken.
- Serve over couscous with steamed vegetables.
- The amount of spice can be adjusted according to taste.
- Made too Much? - Freezes Well or Re-Heat and Serve on Hot Toast.