|Reprinted from The Blood Type Diet Website (www.dadamo.com)|
Type O variation of English 'Bubble & Squeak'. The traditional English 'Bubble & Squeak' is made with boiled meat & cabbage. The sauce has vinegar and wine. Naturally this recipe is off limits for Type O's (vinegar), so I have created the following variation that's pretty darn good.
How to make it:
- lean meat
- 3 cups greens & vegetables
- 1 Tablespoon chopped walnuts & pine nuts
- 1/4 cup parsley, minced
- Garlic, chopped, to taste
- 1 Tablespoon oils (I combine butter, olive oil & flaxseed oil)[or ghee]
- mushrooms, to taste [use portobello or other BTD compliant mushrooms]
- 1 Tablespoon rice or spelt flour or arrowroot
- 2 Tablespoon lime or lemon juice
- 1 cup broth (meat or veggie)
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 Tablespoon honey or maple syrup [or agave]
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground black peppercorns, to taste
- Bragg Liquid Aminos for flavoring (optional)[or wheat-free tamari]
- Set veggies to steam while cooking meat.
- Cook meat. I prefer hamburger cooked in frying pan, but any meat will work well. If you have boiled the meat, save the liquid for the broth.
- Drain off any grease, leaving meat juices.
- Set meat aside.
- Add oils to meat juices, saute garlic and mushrooms. Stir in flour or other thickening. If you are using arrowroot, mix it with water first.
- Add broth, mustard, lemon or lime, and honey or maple syrup.
- Stir while sauce thickens.
- By the time the sauce is thickened, veggies should be done.
- Make a nest of the veggies on a plate, top with meat, pour sauce over it.
- Top with parsley and nuts.
- Taste the sauce as it thickens. You may want to add more sweetener or sour.
- You may also want to add a little salt or pepper, if you use them.
- I like to use Bragg Liquid Aminos for flavoring in sauces and this is one recipe where it works well.