|Reprinted from The Blood Type Diet Website (www.dadamo.com)|
|Texas Black-Eyed Pea Salad|
Cold bean salad. This is a recipe I received from Better Homes & Gardens. Perfect for Type O. [Omit the tomatoes, and the dish becomes okay for type A secretors, as well.]
How to make it:
- 1 Tablespoon [olive] oil
- 2 yellow summer squash, thinly sliced crosswise (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded, and chopped (about 2 Tablespoons) [or substitute 1 teaspoon freshly grated horseradish]
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed, crushed
- 1 16 ounce can black-eyed peas, rinsed & drained
- 1 green onion, sliced (2 Tablespoons) [or 1 scallion]
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into thin wedges [omit for Type A secretors]
- In a medium skillet heat oil, cook squash, peppers, garlic & cumin uncovered, for 8 min or until squash is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Combine squash mixture with peas, green onion, cilantro and salt.
- Cover and chill up to 24 hours.
- Toss tomato wedges with pea and squash mixture just before serving.
- To get more beneficial foods in the recipe, or if you don't like jalapenos, you could substitute 1 teaspoon, or to taste, grated horseradish for the jalapenos. Also, I would add some kale to this.
- Makes 4 side-dish servings.