|Reprinted from The Blood Type Diet Website (www.dadamo.com)|
|Lasagna for Type O|
A frugal-minded recipe for Type Os like myself, who love lasagna. The ingredients are probably fine for others, and may be changed accordingly (e.g.: wheat pasta may be OK for some). I shop for rice noodles at Oriental markets, as they tend to be less expensive than health food store non-wheat pastas; but the two may not be equally enriched with vitamins, so concentrate on thesauces, etc. This mixes carbs with proteins, which some may not tolerate.
How to make it:
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound your favorite ground beef/turkey/turkey sausage (check Ingredients)
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella
- 8 ounces feta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 pound flat RICE spring-roll wraps (look like sheets of waxpaper) at Oriental markets; make sure not wheat wraps for eggrolls): NIGHT BEFORE >>SOAK IN COLD WATER 1/2 HOUR, THEN FREEZE IN FOIL OVERNIGHT, THEN THAW BEFORE PREPARING RECIPE--this makes separating wraps much easier.
- 10 ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 10 ounce package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 15 ounce can pinto beans, rinsed and drained (or your favorite veggie)[pick something compliant]
- (3) 8 ounce cans tomato sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning or 3 Tablespoons fresh chopped herbs
- 1 teaspoon either dry oregano, basil or parsley (or 1 Tablespoon fresh chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves minced (or 1 teaspoon dry)
- 1 small onion chopped or 1/4 cup dried onion
- 32 ounce jar favorite spaghetti sauce (if extra sauce desired)
- NIGHT BEFORE >>SOAK [Rice Spring-Roll Wraps] IN COLD WATER 1/2 HOUR, THEN FREEZE IN FOIL OVERNIGHT, THEN THAW BEFORE PREPARING RECIPE--this makes separating wraps much easier.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Meanwhile, in skillet on medium heat, heat olive oil, then add meat, onions and garlic (add water if using dried), and brown.
- Add tomato sauce, pepper, and herbs, turning down heat to simmer 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, mash feta cheese completely, add egg and 6 ounces of mozzarella, mixing thoroughly.
- Drain frozen-thawed spinach by opening one end of box and squeezing juice firmly into sink (don't lose any spinach).
- Drain thawed broccoli in colander in sink, if necessary.
- Combine both with beans in a bowl.
- Take small amount of tomato-meat mixture and lightly spread on bottom of 13x9'' baking dish, just to moisten.
- Spread 3 layers of rice-wraps on top.
- Then a layer of 1/3 of broccoli-spinach-beans mixture, then a layer of 1/3 of cheese mixture and 1/3 of tomato-meat sauce mixture.
- Repeat until all ingredients are used except the 2 ounce of mozzarella saved before.
- Cover last layer of tomato-meat mixture with 1 layer of rice wraps and this layer of the spaghetti sauce, on top of which spread last 2 ounce of mozzarella. Cover with aluminum foil, and place on oven's central rack, for 30 minutes, after which, uncover foil and bake an additional 10-15 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat your favorite spaghetti sauce and use this to top each serving, if desired.
- Freeze leftover rice wraps, in foil, for the next time.