|Reprinted from The Blood Type Diet Website (www.dadamo.com)|
|Shepherd's Pie (Vegetarian)|
This is a high protein dish. Lentils are rich in iron. I got this recipe out of the book called 'The Yoga Cookbook, Vegetarian Food for the Body and Mind'.
How to make it:
- 1-1/2 cups green or brown lentils (or adzuki, green or yellow split peas) [or BTD compliant beans]
- 3 cups hot water
- 2 Tablespoons butter [or ghee]
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning (or oregano and thyme) [or BTD compliant spices]
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace or nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt or 1 teaspoon wheat-free tamari
- fresh parsley, chopped
- 1-1/2 pounds parsnips and rutabaga, cooked
- 3/4 cup grated mozzarella [or BTD compliant cheese]
- 4 Tablespoons butter [or ghee]
- 2 Tablespoons soy milk [or BTD compliant milk]
- paprika (optional) or sunflower seeds
- Put lentils in a pan with hot water.
- Bring to a boil, half cover, and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, until water has been absorbed and lentils are soft.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Melt butter or ghee in a skillet and saute the carrots and celery over medium heat until soft.
- Mash cooked lentils and add to vegetables.
- Add the herbs and spices, and sea salt or tamari, and mix well.
- Spoon mixture into a 2-quart baking dish and sprinkle with parsley.
- Mash the cooked parsnips and rutabaga with the cheese, butter or ghee, and milk.
- Spoon the topping over the lentil mixture and sprinkle with paprika, if desired.
- Bake in oven for about 30 minutes, until top is golden brown.
- Serve Hot.
- Very good reheated.
- Serves 4 to 6.