|Reprinted from The Blood Type Diet Website (www.dadamo.com)|
|Chicken with Squash-Barley Pilaf|
|Contributed by: Bethany||Added: Aug 13, 2012 at 08:05 PM|
A delicious, healthy, and filling meal from Better Homes and Gardens Magazine. Makes 4 servings; 345 calories per serving.
How to make it:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons chopped shallot (1 medium)
- 1 cup 3/4 inch pieces peeled butternut squash
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 medium red apple, cored and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 small skinless, boneless, chicken breast halves (1 lb. total)
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/4 cup roasted salted pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 1/4 cup chutney [check for compliance]
- 1/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- In a medium saucepan heat oil over medium heat.
- Add shallot, cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add broth, squash, and barley.
- Bring to boiling, reduce heat.
- Simmer, covered, for 10 to 12 minutes or just until tender, stirring once or twice.
- Stir in apple.
- Cook, covered, for 3 to 4 minutes more or just until apple is tender.
- Remove from heat, set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine coriander, cumin, salt, turmeric, and cayenne pepper.
- Sprinkle evenly over all sides of the chicken.
- Lightly coat all sides of the chicken with cooking spray.
- Coat a grill pan or large skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat.
- Add chicken to hot pan.
- Cook for 8 to 12 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink (170 F), turning once halfway through.
- Remove chicken from pan. Slice chicken.
- Add pumpkin seeds to barley mixture; stir until combined.
- In a small bowl stir together chutney and yogurt.
- Serve barley mixture topped with sliced chicken and the chutney mixture.