|Reprinted from The Blood Type Diet Website (www.dadamo.com)|
|Dijon Lentil and Sausage Casserole|
|Contributed by: Bethany||Added: Aug 12, 2012 at 05:01 PM|
Delicious low calorie casserole recipe from Better Homes and Gardens Magazine. Makes 8 (1 cup) servings.
How to make it:
- 1 14.5 oz. can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 8 oz fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 2-to-3 inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 3 medium shallots, halved, or 1 medium onion, cut into thin wedges
- 8 oz. smoked cooked turkey sausage, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/4 cups red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
- 2 teaspoons snipped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed.
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups coarse soft whole wheat bread crumbs (or substitute)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
- -Preheat oven to 400 F. In a large saucepan combine broth and the water. Bring to boiling. Add green beans, parsnips, and shallots. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 8 to 10 minutes or just until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat. Stir in sausage and lentils.
- -In a small bowl, combine wine, mustard, thyme, and half of the garlic; stir into sausage mixture.
- -Transfer sausage mixture to a 2-quart casserole dish. Bake, covered, for 25 to 30 minutes or just until lentils are tender.
- -Meanwhile, in a medium bowl toss together bread crumbs and oil. Sprinkle over sausage mixture. Bake, uncovered, 10 minutes more or until heated through and crumbs are lightly browned.
- -In a small bowl combine parsley, lemon peel, and the remaining garlic. Sprinkle over casserole before serving.