|Reprinted from The Blood Type Diet Website (www.dadamo.com)|
|100% Rye Bread|
|Contributed by: Ribbit||Added: Jan 11, 2010 at 04:47 PM|
How to make it:
- 3 cups rye flour, sifted
- 1 Tablespoon sweetener (honey, agave, maple syrup)
- 1 package yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 Tablespoons ghee or oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 Tablespoons beer
- 1 Tablespoon molasses
- 1 Tablespoon caraway seeds (optional)
- Sprinkle yeast over warm water.
- Stir in sweetener.
- Let proof 15 minutes.
- Sift flour.
- Mix half the flour with the yeast/water in a large glass bowl.
- Add beer, ghee or oil, salt, caraway seeds and molasses.
- Stir well.
- Cover with a thin, damp towel and let rise in a warm place or in the oven (below 100 degrees).
- Let rise about 45 minutes to an hour, or until nearly doubled in bulk.
My oven doesn't go that low, so I preheat it for a minute, turn it off, put the covered glass bowl in the oven, shut the door and set the timer.
- Remove from oven and stir in remaining flour.
- I do not knead mine, and it works fine.
- Just stir it well.
- Pour into a greased glass or stone baking dish or loaf pan.
- I used a round baking dish because I like a round loaf.
- If you need to heat the oven a little again, do so.
- Let it rise again (30-25 minutes), this time uncovered (if you cover it a second time, and it rises all the way to the cloth, it'll stick when you pull it off). Without moving the pan, turn the heat up to 375.
- Bake for about 40 minutes and check it.
- It should sound hollow when you tap it.
- Bake more if necessary.
- Baking time depends on size of loaf (depth of dish).
- Remove from oven and brush with ghee if desired.
- Ghee will soften the crust.
- If you want a crisp crust, just leave it alone.
- After I brush it with ghee, I sprinkle the top with coarse salt.
- Finish off the beer. ;)