|Reprinted from The Blood Type Diet Website (www.dadamo.com)|
|Amaranth Spelt Muffins|
|Contributed by: Shelly Grogan||Added: Jan 07, 2010 at 11:28 PM|
These chewy muffins are a great power breakfast or mid-morning pick me up without being too heavy or sweet. These muffins are not a good late night snack unless you plan on staying up all night!
How to make it:
- 1 cup amaranth
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 cup chopped sweetened dried cranberries [check for avoids]
- 3/4 cup soy milk [check for avoids][or use a BTD compliant substitute]
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3 cups spelt flour
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar [agave]
- 1-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon [or use a BTD compliant substitute]
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice [or use a BTD compliant substitute]
- 3 teaspoon baking powder [baking powder recipes]
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Stir all dry ingredients together, mixing well.
- Cook amaranth in the 3 cups water, bring to boil and then simmer until water is absorbed.
- Warm cranberries in apple juice until boiling, then turn off and let rest.
- Beat egg into soy milk and add vanilla.
- Stir in cooked amaranth, then the cranberries and apple juice.
- Stir in dry ingredients and then the pecans.
- Fill greased muffin cups or liners 3/4 full and bake for 15-25 minutes, or until tops look dry and muffins are springy.
- Let cool and enjoy, recipe makes about 2 dozen muffins.