|Reprinted from The Blood Type Diet Website (www.dadamo.com)|
|Roast Chicken or Turkey Breast with Fiery Lemon Glaze|
|Contributed by: Brighid45||Added: Dec 17, 2009 at 10:31 AM|
Found this in the January 2010 issue of Better Homes & Gardens. It's a little time-consuming to make, but well, well worth it--the taste payoff is immense! You can omit the cayenne if you can't do peppers or heat and it will still taste delicious. Excellent with roasted vegetables!This is an overnight recipe, as the chicken needs to marinate 8-12 hours.
How to make it:
- 1 4-5 pound whole roasting chicken OR turkey breast
- 4-6 small organic lemons
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon each sea salt and pepper (opt)
- 1/2 cup honey (a light flavor is best)
- 2-3 small organic lemons, halved or quartered (opt)
- Remove giblets and use for stock or freeze for later use.
- Place chicken in a large plastic bag set in a shallow dish. Slice 2 lemons, add to the bag.
- Finely shred 2 teaspoons of peel from the remaining lemons and set aside.
- Squeeze lemons to yield 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons of juice for the marinade and glaze.
FOR THE MARINADE:
- combine 1/2 cup lemon juice, olive oil, parsley, garlic, 1/2 the cayenne and 1/2 teaspoon each sea salt and freshly ground pepper, if using.
- Pour over the chicken, turn to coat, and seal the bag. Refrigerate 8-12 hours, turning the bag over occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Let chicken stand at room temperature 15 minutes. Drain the marinade and set aside the lemon slices. Discard the marinade.
- Tie the legs together and tuck the wings under.
- Place chicken breast side up on a rack in a shallow roasting pan.
- Cover with the lemon slices.
- Arrange the lemon halves or quarters on the rack around the chicken.
- Roast on the lowest rack in your oven for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, combine the honey, shredded peel, 2 tablespoons juice and remaining cayenne.
- Bring to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Set aside.
- Cut the string tying the chicken legs together and reposition any lemon slices that might have fallen off.
- Continue roasting until the legs move easily and juices run clear, about 30-60 minutes depending on the size of the chicken.
- Occasionally brush the chicken with some of the honey glaze during the last 10 minutes of roasting.
- If the lemons begin to darken, tent loosely with foil or parchment paper.
- When the chicken is done, let stand 15 minutes before carving.
- Serve with the remaining honey glaze.