|Reprinted from The Blood Type Diet Website (www.dadamo.com)|
|Paneer Tikka Masala|
|Contributed by: Ribbit||Added: Dec 11, 2009 at 08:43 AM|
This dish originally called for tomatoes. I use beets instead, and it's still red (not purple!). The onions, garlic and ginger give it heat without having to use peppers. There are two different parts to this meal: The paneer sauce, which is white, and the onion sauce, which is red. In the original recipe these two are mixed together, but I didn't do that. I was afraid it would all turn pink from the beets. I spread rice onto a plate, then spooned the white sauce into the center, then spooned the red sauce all around the edges. Serve with basmati rice or flatbread.This is probably supposed to serve 4, but it served 2 of us.
How to make it:
- 1 cup paneer cheese, cubed
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek
- 1 heaping cup yogurt
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper (or just omit)
- 1 Tablespoon ginger-garlic paste (or you can mash 1 1/2 teaspoons of ginger into a pulp and a large clove of garlic into pulp)
- 2 teaspoons red chili powder (or omit)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- sea salt to taste
- 3 Tablespoons ghee
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes chopped (I used 1/2 a beet, minced)
- 7 to 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tablespoons coriander (cilantro) leaves
- 2 teaspoons ginger-garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder (or omit)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons sea salt (or to taste)
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 cups water
- toasted sesame seeds if allowed
- Stir together fenugreek, yogurt, garlic-ginger paste, and lemon juice.
- Gently stir in cubed paneer.
- Marinate 1 hour.
- Put on basmati rice too cook, or serve with flatbread.
- In large iron skillet, melt ghee.
- Add cumin seeds and stir-fry until fragrant.
- Add onions, beets (or tomato if using), garlic cloves, coriander leaves, ground cumin, garam masala, and salt.
- Saute for about 10 minutes, until it gets thick.
- Add water, cover, and let simmer for about half an hour.
- Stir in lemon juice.
- Arrange food on plate or in bowl.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds on top.