|Reprinted from The Blood Type Diet Website (www.dadamo.com)|
|Sweet Potato Torta with Apple, Parmesan and Fresh Thyme|
|Contributed by: Gulfcoastguy||Added: Sep 22, 2009 at 02:09 PM|
A simple casserole that's a great side dish for roast meats or as a stand-alone entree. If possible use a firm tart-sweet apple such as Braeburn, Fuji, Gala or Granny Smith.
How to make it:
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter OR ghee
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons chopped fresh thyme (plus one sprig for garnish)
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions, white and green parts (OR sub chopped leeks instead)
- 1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan (OR other sharp compliant cheese such as romano or pecorino)
- 1 Tablespoon gluten-free flour(rice flour ought to work)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar OR sweetener of choice
- 3/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
- freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large tart green cooking apple,peeled and thinly sliced
- Melt the butter in a small sauce pan and use part of it to grease a 9 inch cake pan, or spring-form pan with aluminum foil wrapped around the outside.
- Place the thyme sprig in the middle of the pan and preheat the oven to 375F.
- In a bowl combine the chopped thyme, onion, cheese, sweetener, salt, and pepper.
- Toss to blend.
- Place a layer of sweet potato slices in the pan, then layer with half the apple slices.
- Sprinkle with 2 Tablespoons of the cheese mixture and 2 teaspoons of the butter.
- Use half the remaining sweet potatoes for the next layer, then the rest of the apples.
- Sprinkle on the rest of the cheese mixture and drizzle with butter.
- Place the rest of the sweet potatoes as the top layer and drizzle in butter.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 25 to 30 minutes longer.