|Reprinted from The Blood Type Diet Website (www.dadamo.com)|
|Lentil Sausage Soup|
Adapted from recipe of the same name by Ina Garten - Barefoot Contessa8 to 10 servings, 4 quarts
How to make it:
- 1 pound green lentils
- 1/4 cup olive oil, also for browning sausage
- 4 cups diced yellow onions
- 4 cups chopped leeks, white and light green parts only
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 Tablespoon sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups medium diced celery
- 3 cups medium diced carrots
- 3 quarts chicken broth
- 1/4 cup no tomato sauce (recipe listed under Other)
- 1 pound chicken sausage
- 4 Tablespoons dry red wine
- In a large bowl, cover the lentils with boiling water and allow to sit for 15 minutes.
- Cut the chicken sausage in half lengthwise.
- Heat a little olive oil in skillet and brown sausage on both sides.
- Remove from skillet to cool and then cut in 1/3 inch slices.
- Add a little chicken broth to hot skillet to deglaze skillet and add to stockpot when the rest of chicken broth added.
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, heat the olive oil and saute the onions, leeks, garlic, salt, thyme, and cumin for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are translucent and tender.
- Add the celery and carrots and saute for another 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, no tomato tomato sauce, and drained lentils, cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 1 hour, or until the lentils are cooked through and tender. Check the seasonings.
- Add the sausage and red wine and simmer until the sausage is hot.