|Reprinted from The Blood Type Diet Website (www.dadamo.com)|
|Claire's Granola Bars|
|Contributed by: Claire D||Added: May 31, 2009 at 08:40 PM|
Chewy Granola Bars that eliminate one's need for a cookie - wholesome healthy and delicious!
How to make it:
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup flax seed meal
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup ghee
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup brown rice syrup [variation: honey or other compliant sweetener/syrup]
- 1/2 cup dates [optional]
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract [optional]
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon [optional]
- While your oven is preheating to 300F, spread the oats, almonds and flaxmeal evenly on a 9'' x 12'' baking sheet. Bake these dry ingredients for 20 minutes, stirring them occasionally. (If you or yours like really crispy granola, bake the dry ingredients an additional few minutes.)
- Meanwhile, heat the ghee, honey and brown rice syrup (or other compliant sweetener) in a small saucepan, allowing the brew to simmer until the oat mixture is ready to come out of the oven.
- Put the cranberries and [optional] dates in a food processor. Pulse a bit to grind the dates. I like small pieces of dried fruit. It gets clumpy. (That will be addressed in the next step.)
- As soon as the oat mixture is done, add the cranberries and dates, stirring them into the other ingredients. Add cinnamon (optional). I put this mixture in the food processor. Pulse a couple of times. It breaks up the sticky dried fruit and makes for a more dense granola bar. If you like larger chunks skip this part.
- Now remove the ghee/syrup mixture from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract [optional], then pour the hot liquid over the oat mixture and stir until all the dry ingredients are coated.
- Next, press the granola firmly into the bottom of a greased 8'' x 8'' pan and place it in the still-warm oven to bake (at the same 300F as before) for 20 minutes. (An 8'' x 8'' pan makes bars about an inch thick; if you want thinner bars, use a slightly larger pan.) I use a potato masher to press the granola - it works really well.
- When you remove the granola from the oven, allow it to cool before cutting it into squares.