|Reprinted from The Blood Type Diet Website (www.dadamo.com)|
|Jerusalem Artichoke Soup with Sage Croutons|
Creamy pureed winter soup similar to leek and potato soup, with croutons, taken from Cafe Bouloud Cookbook by Daniel Bouloud and Dorie Greenspan(I modified without meat -original recipe called for 3 ounces slab bacon or pancetta, and 1/2 cup heavy cream which I substituted for about 2 cups soy milk and 1/2 listed broth)
How to make it:
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium fennel bulb, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 medium leek, white part only, thinly sliced
- 1 celery stalk, trimmed, and thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled, split, and germ removed, if necessary
- sea salt and freshly ground white pepper
- bouquet garni (2 sprigs sage, 2 sprigs thyme, and 1 bay leaf, wrapped in leek green and tied)
- 2 pounds Jerusalem artichokes, scrubbed and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices [or substitute rice or squash]
- 2 quarts unsalted chicken or veg broth, or water
- 1 small potato, peeled and diced [or substitute rice or squash]
- 1/2 cup heavy cream ( I reduced the broth and substituted cream for about 2 cups of unsweetened soy milk)
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 slices bread, preferably country bread, crusts removed and cut in 1/4 inch dice to make 1 cup
- 3 leaves sage finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- Make the croutons:
- Warm the olive oil in small saute pan or skillet over medium heat.
- Add the bread, sage, and garlic, season with salt and pepper and saute until bread is crispy and golden brown.
- Discard the garlic and drain the croutons on a double thickness of paper towels.
- Save the crisp sage leaves to garnish the soup.
Make the soup:
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven or large casserole over medium heat.
- (Omit this part if not using meat - Add the pancetta or bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until it renders it's fat, 3 to 5 minutes).
- Add the onion, fennel, leeks, celery and garlic and season with salt and pepper.
- Toss in the bouquet garni and cook, stirring from time to time, for 5 minutes.
- Add the Jerusalem artichokes, and cook for 15 to 20 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in the stock or water, add the potatoes and 1-1/2 teaspoons salt and bring mixture to the boil.
- Lower the heat so that the soup simmers and cook, uncovered, for 30 to 35 minutes, skimming the foam from the surface as needed.
- (Spoon out the pieces of bacon or pancetta, cut them into small dice and set them aside until serving time.)
- Discard the bouquet garni.
- Using a blender, hand-held immersion blender or a food processor, and working in batches, puree the soup until it is very smooth.
- Strain the soup through a fine mesh sieve into a large saucepan and taste for salt and pepper, adding seasoning as needed.
- Add the cream (or unsweetened soy milk) to the soup and bring to the boil, then lower the heat and keep soup warm while you make the croutons.
- Yield: 4 servings