|Reprinted from The Blood Type Diet Website (www.dadamo.com)|
|Upside-down pear cake|
|Contributed by: Michele||Added: Oct 13, 2008 at 07:46 AM|
My friend gave me these sweet, small pears from his tree. This is the recipe his grandmother used to use.
How to make it:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 4 pears, cored and sliced
- 1/4 cup butter @ room temperature
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup apple sauce
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 1/2 cup spelt flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Melt the butter for the topping in a 9 inch cake pan in the oven while it's preheating.
- When melted, stir in the brown sugar and spread evenly.
- Arrange the pear slices, overlapping as necessary on the bottom of the pan.
- In a bowl, put the butter, brown sugar and eggs. Beat until smooth. Mix in the applesauce and molasses.
- In a separate bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients, then add those to the wet.
- Spoon over the pears in the baking pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes, check for doneness. Bake 5 to 10 minutes more if necessary (variance if you have convection or not.)
- Remove from oven, cool 5 minutes. Invert over a serving plate and let sit 10 minutes more so the topping oozes down into the cake. Remove the pan and enjoy!