|Reprinted from The Blood Type Diet Website (www.dadamo.com)|
|Escarole, Black Eyed Pea and Smoked Turkey Soup|
A hearty soup that's easy to make and works great as an entree or main course.
How to make it:
- 4 ounces dried black eyed peas [or a compliant substitute] [variations: white beans or black beans]
- 1 small head of escarole
- 1 smoked turkey leg
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large or two small garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper [optional]
- 1 teaspoon plus one pinch sea salt
- The night before, rinse black eyed peas in water and discard any rocks, sand or bad peas. Soak rinsed black eyed peas in water overnight.
- Drain black eyed peas and rinse again. Place peas in 2 to 3 quart pot with 2 to 3 cups of water and a teaspoon of sea salt.
- Add smoked turkey leg to pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Separate the escarole leaves and rinse well.
- Coarsely chop escarole.
- In another pot or frying pan put oil, crush garlic into oil and sautee until golden.
- Add a pinch of sea salt, then add the escarole a little at a time until all is wilted, and set aside.
- Remove the turkey leg from the peas and carefully separate the meat from the bone and tendons.
- Add the meat, escarole and optional cayenne pepper to the peas and simmer for 30 minutes longer.