$title

Forum Archives

Here you can search the thousands of posts from our older message boards. Just click on the link for the time period you wish to search and you will be taken to the fill-out form for that volume. You can also click on the 'Return to Index' link and display all the messages in threaded form.

View Thread View Post Thread for This Board Read Prev Msg Read Next Msg

The Blood Type Diet Archives Volume 11

Look on the bright side...

Posted By: Peter D'Adamo
Date: Wednesday, 29 September 1999, at 9:28 p.m.

In Response To: But I need to commiserate! ;) (Kendra (A+))

Dear Kendra,

You might remember that in ER I mention that underlying problems should be corrected in addition to following the prescribed diet. That is no different for an insulin resistant type A than it is for a hypercholesterolemic type O. Looking at the A diet as simply a bunch of starches may be missing the point, which is to minimize consumption of food lectins specific for that type that are capable of mimicking insulin. These are principally grains and certain other fruits and vegetables which are listed as avoids for that particular blood type.

If we just go back to looking at the particular diet (in this case the type A diet) and applying prior generalized notions about what foods are good or bad for a particular condition, we are not doing the blood type diet. By cutting out grains like wheat, or vegetables like tomatoes, the type A can very effectively control and reverse hypoglycemia, but as anyone will tell you, cutting out wheat is not easy. Yet it is the best way I know of to gradually rehabilitate the intercellular processes which regulate the conversion of glucose to stored glycerols and triglycerides. Proof of this is abundant in the literature; go to MEDLINE and key in 'wheat germ agglutinin' and 'insulin' and see what you get back.

If on the other hand, a dysinsulinic type A decides to switch to a high animal protein diet, they may very well feel a temporary benefit with regard to the subjective feelings, but they are still way wide of being normalized. They will feel better as long as they eat this way, much like the way that you can heat a house with a faulty furnace by constantly elevating the thermostat. Something will give eventually, typically in female type As, the liver, gall bladder, thyroid, bones and reproductive systems.

I would also caution against trying to find a subtype which will allow you to eat such a high protein diet; the long term results will be quite dire. On the other hand, fish and poultry are abundant enough in the A diet to insure that adequate protein needs are met.

Many type A's have high cortisol levels, especially when stressed or sleeping poorly. Cortisol will tend to aggravate dysinsulinism. Try having a few tablespoons of cooked parsnips, carrots, or squash right before bed; this will tend to stop nocturnal hypoglycemia, and give your cortisol axis a rest, which can often help regulate daytime hypoglycemia IF you also begin to cut down on foods containing insulin mimicking lectins. A cup or two of licorice tea can also help regulate cortisol and minimize sugar cravings.

As far as the number of type A's doing poorly on the A diet, I question the veracity of that. Just today in my office I saw two type A patients, both hypoglycemic, who have lost a total of 170 pounds between them. Yes it is rough (they would certainly agree) but if you live to eat rather than eat to live you'll only put yourself further and further away from any real control of the problem, let alone set yourself up for a variety of chronic ills later on.

Messages in This Thread

View Thread View Post Thread for This Board Read Prev Msg Read Next Msg

Password:

GenoType Diet Website   ♦   Dr. D'Adamo's Clinic   ♦   Institute for Human Individuality   ♦   Newsletter   ♦   Para Su Tipo de Sangre   ♦   Professionals   ♦  The Individualist

The statements made on our websites have not been evaluated by the FDA (U.S. Food & Drug Administration).
Our products and services are not intended to diagnose, cure or prevent any disease. If a condition persists, please contact your physician.
Copyright © 2010, North American Pharmacal, Inc. All Rights Reserved