Print Topic - Archive

BTD Forums  /  The GenoType Diet  /  mold on fruit bad for teacher?
Posted by: Anji, Friday, August 23, 2013, 8:16pm
I understand that teachers are sensitive to toxins and bacteria. I bought some organic figs today that where partly moldy. I cut the moldy parts off but the rest might have touched other moldy fruits. The figs were sweet and delicious. Do I as a teacher need to be careful and avoid any sort of mold. Should I have tossed them?
Posted by: Chloe, Friday, August 23, 2013, 8:39pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from Anji
I understand that teachers are sensitive to toxins and bacteria. I bought some organic figs today that where partly moldy. I cut the moldy parts off but the rest might have touched other moldy fruits. The figs were sweet and delicious. Do I as a teacher need to be careful and avoid any sort of mold. Should I have tossed them?


If these were dried figs and if you saw white crystallization on them, that would be sugars. And
not to worry. What you'd want to be watching out for is black mold on fresh produce.  I think I
might have taken this fruit back to the store for a refund rather than eat any of it....although if
you're feeling fine and don't have mold allergies, I'm thinking you don't need to worry that
you did major harm to yourself.

In the future, if I were you, I'd carefully examine fresh fruits and vegetables prior to purchase as I don't think
it's healthy for anyone to be consuming decaying foods.. I often find strawberries and raspberries get little black spots and I clearly wouldn't eat that fruit.
Posted by: C_Sharp, Friday, August 23, 2013, 8:43pm; Reply: 2
If these are dried figs what may appear as mold may be crystallized sugar and should not be a problem.

On fresh:

Perhaps it would be best to throw the whole thing out, but I hat wasting food. So I do not do that.

As you did I cut out section of fruit that appear moldy.

For the remaining fruit, I soak the rest in a solution with grapefruit seed extract that should kill the mold.  

But this does not remove toxins from the fruit that have already been released by mold that is there but you do not see.
Print page generated: Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 12:10pm