Print Topic - Archive

BTD Forums  /  Live Right 4 Your Type  /  Alternatives to lemon water in the morning?
Posted by: l3asu, Monday, August 24, 2009, 4:52am
Are there any alternatives for lemon water in the morning? I am a college student so having fresh lemons to squeeze into my morning water is difficult. Are there any powders, like with tea or lemonade that will suffice for the same effect?
Posted by: Maria Giovanna, Monday, August 24, 2009, 8:19am; Reply: 1
If you have a fridge I do not see a problem, but I find ready to use lemon juice (also organic) to dilute in water. Lemons are not easily rotten, if you have few at a time; I use nearly a lemon a day on my water, tea and salads, so perhaps you can do it. A lemon can stay open till two days also without fridge; in winter use your window.
Hope it helps ! Maria Giovanna
Posted by: Lola, Monday, August 24, 2009, 3:10pm; Reply: 2
Lakewood Organic Fresh pressed lemon and lime juices...not from
concentrate, nothing added.
Posted by: 815 (Guest), Monday, August 24, 2009, 3:16pm; Reply: 3
I wish I could tolerate it.  :(   I have a citrus allergy and it gives me a stomach ache, plus my face breaks out in red bumps.. I can't resist it on fish. I still use a little on fish and in recipes.
Posted by: joji732, Wednesday, August 26, 2009, 7:45pm; Reply: 4
You can usually buy packets of lemon juice at some of the warehouse clubs (like costco or Sams.)  Or see if your school's cafeteria stocks them and get some there.
Posted by: Lola, Wednesday, August 26, 2009, 9:33pm; Reply: 5
Quoted Text
buy packets of lemon juice at some of the warehouse clubs (like costco or Sams.)  Or see if your school's cafeteria stocks them


hope those are not citric acid, corn derived most of the time, specially if available in those stores and cafeterias!

check out the corn allergen list!
http://www.cornallergens.com/list/corn-allergen-list.php
Posted by: C_Sharp, Thursday, August 27, 2009, 2:36am; Reply: 6
In my experience the problem with lemon juice in little packets, is it contains sodium bisulfate and/or sodium benzoate (rather than citric acid derived from corn).

These same preservatives are use in the yellow plastic squeeze lemons and the green bottles of lemon juice.
Posted by: l3asu, Tuesday, September 1, 2009, 1:37am; Reply: 7
what about lemonade, yes I know it has excess sugar and what not but it is better than nothing? It just became available to me
Posted by: Gale D., Tuesday, September 1, 2009, 1:47am; Reply: 8
Quoted from C_Sharp
In my experience the problem with lemon juice in little packets, is it contains sodium bisulfate and/or sodium benzoate (rather than citric acid derived from corn).

These same preservatives are use in the yellow plastic squeeze lemons and the green bottles of lemon juice.


sodium bisulfate preservative was listed as an Avoid on Teacher diet, but not listed on Warrior, so I assume it is Neutral for me now? It certainly doesn't bother me like many other preservatives.

Posted by: Lola, Tuesday, September 1, 2009, 1:52am; Reply: 9
sodium bisulfate isn t listed on my swami.....
not sure if it was listed at all in the gtd food lists, if not appearing on swami
Posted by: Gale D., Tuesday, September 1, 2009, 1:58am; Reply: 10
I assumed Teacher avoids "potassium bisulfite" and "sodium nitrite" were pretty much in the same class or interchangeable -- "potassium nitrite", "sodium bisulfite"...
Posted by: Lola, Tuesday, September 1, 2009, 3:07am; Reply: 11
??)
have you checked the corn allergen list yet?
http://allergies.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=allergies&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cornallergens.com%2Fnew%2Feliminating-corn-from-diet.php

see if you find those there, cause all you mention are not listed in my swami
Posted by: Gale D., Tuesday, September 1, 2009, 3:50am; Reply: 12
Teacher avoids lists potassium bisulfite, potassium metabisulfite, sodium nitrite and sodium sulfite. I don't know how these relate to corn allergy? I don't have that allergy myself -- does anyone else know about this?

Nitrites and nitrates usually give me raging migraines, but so far the sodium metabisulfite and sodium sulfite in my bottled lemon juice are not bothering me -- maybe because I use so little of it in my water.
I am planning to stop using that and go to fresh lemons and limes once we use up the last 2 bottles.
Posted by: yaeli, Tuesday, September 1, 2009, 4:24am; Reply: 13
Quoted from l3asu
I am a college student so having fresh lemons to squeeze into my morning water is difficult.
Yes, I remember well my university days... it was very difficult. If it's not impossible, it's worth investing. 7 lemons will do for two weeks. There are tiny citrus manual squeezers that will do a great job (I've been using one for more than 32 years now, thrifty capricorn gatherer me). I'll let you know if I can get one and send you.  8)

Posted by: Lola, Tuesday, September 1, 2009, 5:16am; Reply: 14
http://www.dadamo.com/cgi-bin/Blah/Blah.pl?b-nonnie/m-1245592625/s-0/#num15

count yourself lucky Gale!
I have never had noticeable reactions to any thing in particular, but have been avoiding anything manufactured from the very start...
I don t plan on ingesting any of that either.
:)
Print page generated: Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 11:52pm