I would think that the small amount of mercury in our fish is totally not harmful in anyway? since this mercury would be elemental and not compounds...
....now with all that said the laboratory made (compounds) of mercury are deadly... these are found only in the lab and not in the ground or ocean or whatever..
I really enjoy my cod fish that i am eating (lemon, butter and garlic)
The internet can be a scary place to read about how awful our food is and that according to the mercury levels in whatever fish you eat should only be consumed like 2 time a month!...
now I have read and spent some time reading about elemental mercury you know the stuff that my parents played with when they were small ...this mercury cannot harm you even if you swallowed a dime size it would just pass right through you...it does not absorb into or through the skin but if you had a quart size jar of the stuff and stuck your face in it and breathed deep for an hour then you might get mercury poisoning other then that its kinda harmless.....now with all that said the laboratory made (compounds) of mercury are deadly... these are found only in the lab and not in the ground or ocean or whatever...so what does this mean? I am not sure exactly but from this information I would think that the small amount of mercury in our fish is totally not harmful in anyway? since this mercury would be elemental and not compounds...
I'm not sure what you are talking about when you say the stuff your parents played with and rolled it around in their hands. If it is the same malleable mercury used for dental fillings, it is highly absorbable and toxic.
Quoted from Chloe
I'll explain. Thermometers used to be filled with mercury. They'd break, the mercury would fall
somewhere and my mother let me play with the metal. It was heavy and wet and could break up
in your hands...rolling it back and forth, allowing it to just feel wet and funny was sort of fun.
(not so funny now, given I was a kid and I've also been an adult with mercury toxicity). Hair
samples, blood samples, urine challenge test all showed high mercury, cadmium, arsenic.
Yes, thermometer mercury is malleable but not a solid like the mercury used in dental fillings....Those silver fillings combine other metals which allow it to be compressed into a tooth
and supposedly sealed.... The mercury in thermometers is more like silver water, only it feels heavy for it's size. That was the appeal....the feel of the mercury in my hands...Cool, wet, heavy.
So I was, a young child, often playing with mercury. What I learned is that it clung to other metals... and I totally ruined my 14 karat band on my birthstone ring. It turned it silver and eventually the silver turned
grayish/black. The mercury residue could not be cleaned off the
THe stupid things we did as kids, not knowing how bad it was to play with mercury. Not that
thermometers were broken often in my house but I always called first dibs on playing with it.
As insane as this sounds, a dentist I went to recently (but won't continue to see) told me that
mercury based fillings are perfectly safe....I told her it's a cover up by the dental profession.
She looked at me suspiciously. I told her I've had mercury toxicity....she laughed and said I
don't know what I'm talking about. She also never heard of the blood type diet. She's 45 years
old and obviously has been residing on another planet for many years as she's totally clueless
about my reality.
As for mercury in fish....it's methyl mercury
I'm a bit paranoid about eating large fish....which means they've been
in water way too long and have had the time to accumulate not only heavy metals but PCBs.
As for my old metal fillings, working on getting them all replaced with composite. And found
another dentist who is in agreement that mercury fillings can leak and cause toxicity.
Quoted from PossumI remember, the only time I broke a thermometer, I still didn't take any chances... Even though we were fairly broke, had 2 small children etc, I bundled up the bath mat it landed on and threw it out in the trash!!
Quoted from C_Sharp
Throwing mercury devices in the trash is currently illegal in the US (do not know about New Zealand). Probably was not when you broke it.
Most thermometers in the US do not use mercury as the liquid.
It is illegal to use a thermometer for a medical use in many states if it does contain mercury.
Only one manufacturer in the US currently makes any thermometers containing mercury (these are not for taking a person's temperature. They are for industrial use.). That company is working on converting their products to use other substances. The National Institute of Standards no longer calibrates or certifies thermometers using mercury.
All of which leads me to believe it is anything but harmless.
Quoted from Averno
I think it's a good idea to have amalgam fillings replaced, careful handling of old thermometers, fluorescent bulbs etc., but keep in mind that most common source of ingested mercury comes from the fish we eat. Coal fired energy plants, especially the older ones, are largely to blame for the unhealthy concentrations of mercury we see in the human population. This will only get worse over time, so the question is whether we'll have to give up eating fish or burning coal.
I think this is a perfect example of how we are all individuals and our environments can contribute to our health problems.