I never made these....but they are gluten free.
Makes about 24 ladyfingers
2 large eggs, separated
¼ cup granulated sugar - superfine if you have it
¼ cup powdered sugar
½ tsp vanilla
Pinch of salt
½ cup gluten-free flour or cornstarch
½ tsp baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or non-stick liner. Get out pastry piping bag with a ½ inch plain piping tube. You can also use a large Ziploc bag with the corner cut off to make ½ inch opening.
3. In a large bowl, whisk egg whites until they are stiff. Add half of the granulated sugar and whisk until stiff again. Fold in remaining half of granulated sugar.
4. In separate bowl, whisk egg yolks, powdered sugar, vanilla and salt until thick and creamy and lighter colored. About 4 minutes.
5. Gently fold egg yolk mix into egg white mix, taking care not to deflate. Use a large stainless steel spoon and fold in figure 8 motion. Do not over mix since you will be adding flour mix.
6. Mix together flour and baking powder and sift onto egg mix and gently fold in. Scrape down sides gently with spatula and reach to bottom of bowl with spatula so everything is mixed in, but still keeping fluffiness. This is not a time to beat vigorously.
7. Gently spoon mix into piping bag and pipe roughly 3” long fingers onto lined sheet, leaving about 2” between each finger.
8. Bake in 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes until ladyfingers are risen, rounded and light golden brown.
9. Remove from oven and let cool before you try to remove ladyfingers from baking sheet. These are soft ladyfingers. For crispy/dry ladyfingers, cook additional 5-10 minutes, taking care that they do not get too brown.