Hi all! I'm thinking of drinking green smoothie for breakfast every morning but am confused about using raw or cooked vegetables for it?
I understand that raw is usually used but my concern is with using non-organic vegetables. i'm thinking of vegetables that i can find in a big supermarket because that would be much more convenient and easy for me to commit to it given that it should be made fresh everyday.
I'm thinking of lightly steaming the greens, maybe about 3 minutes, before blending? or do you think that if i give the greens a soak and good wash, i can use them raw?
would appreciate some advice from ppl who are currently doing the green smoothie thing!
Hi, first of all please excuse for my English (normally my husband help me)
I learn that soak the vegetable or fruit (if not organic) with water and Baking soda (water just about 5 litter, 1 table spoon of baking soda mix together) it will help take off the pesticide about 50%
Here I copy from Thai web and Translate to English(google translate thoung):
How to wash vegetables thoroughly, many ways. The safe consumption of toxic substances.
Vegetables are an important food for the body. The Rose of cellulose, which is useful in preventing disease, constipation, bowel movement. And vegetables are important in the eyes of vitamin A, vitamin C helps nourish the gums and teeth. And immune to the body. But today, consumers often face the problem of pesticide residues in vegetables. Due to the use of chemicals and pesticides that are not appropriate. And care of farm products. Impact on the health of consumers. Therefore, consumers should consider buying a safe from toxins such as vegetables that have been approved by the government. Or organizations, etc. There is also a way to reduce the toxic residues in vegetables. To protect the health of consumers in various ways. Cooking and eating as before.
How to wash vegetables thoroughly to reduce the amount of toxins.
1. peeling. Then soaked in water for 5-10 minutes, then rinse with water again to residues 27 to 72 percent.
2. Lime water for 10 minutes, then rinse with water again. The residues 34 to 52 percent.
3. Broil with lot of water The heat. The residues 48 to 50 percent.
4. Potassium permanganate in water for 10 hours (Rules 20 to 30 scale) with 4 liters of water), rinse with water again. The residues 35 to 43 percent.
5. Washed with tap water for 2 minutes to residues 25 to 39 percent.
6. Ngmsawkgaw soaked for 10 minutes and rinse with water again to residues 29 to 38 percent.
7.. Water, vinegar or salt. (Vinegar or salt, 1 tablespoon water 4 ml) and washed with water again to residues 29 to 38 percent.
8. Soaking liquid buy from healthy food store and rinse the vegetables for 10 minutes, rinse with water again to residues 22 to 36 percent.
For me, most buy organic and lightly steaming the greens suchas Broccoli, Cauliflower, swiss chad, maybe about 2- 3 minutes, before blending. Only raw spinach, cilandtro and use celery and carrot juice.