« The Gut the Second Brain AWsecA Gem Unearthed AWsec »

Comment from: Syren [Visitor]
Amazing! I'm low in D too and for years I've eaten a ton of grain (brown rice)! At least 2 cups a day!
02/20/09 @ 22:37
Comment from: Jane [Visitor]
Interesting. I just read about that on another message board I look at. The person that wrote it is a trainer that lives at high altitude that developed pulmonary hypertension and referenced a study pointing to unleavened bread (essene, right?) and it's relationship to the absorbtion of Vitamin D3.
I have UC and currently take about 2000 IU of D3 a day per my endo. Hope that's enough.
02/23/09 @ 11:46
Comment from: Ribbit [Visitor]
Thanks for that, Andrea. My husband has that book on his shelf, but I've never read it. He read it before I read GenoType, so when I shared what was in GenoType, he said, "Yep, yep, yep" to it all.
02/24/09 @ 17:28
Comment from: Caren [Visitor] Email
I had stage 4 cancer, and healed myself with The Budwig Diet. No Chemo or drugs. Been clean for two years.
05/14/09 @ 08:07
Comment from: Ali Tot [Visitor]
Thanks Andrea. I came here from the search function on Vit D.
Is the comment above implying that brown rice also interferes with absorption?
06/21/09 @ 14:16
Comment from: Madeleine [Visitor]
This research does not prove that grains are not good for one but that they may adversely affect absorption of vitamin D supplements. I suspect this is probably partly due to phytic acid in high fibre foods (also occurs with absortion of some minerals such as iron).

So it may be best to take the supplements away from a high fibre meal.

There is very little vitamin D in foods and most of our D comes from the sun so if your D is low and you are not supplementing then deficiency is not likely to be due to grains/fibre but lack of sunlight, therefore eating brown rice, for example would not affect serum levels.

Madeleine David ND